The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By cochise
  • 1 Post By planettrout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 PM

troutonfly10 has a spectacular aura abouttroutonfly10 has a spectacular aura abouttroutonfly10 has a spectacular aura about
Default Yellowstone

Hopefully going to Yellowstone this or next summer, any info on where to catch some fish or any local fly shops we should stop at? Thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Yellowstone

Hi Carter,

I have an idea that just may be a good one. Stay with the forum, post to threads and ask as many questions as you need to ask. Over time you will figure out which members live near or fish that area. Then (if I were you) I would ask via PM to some guys who are there where they think will be best when you are going to show up. if the trip is all about fishing the Park may not be the best destination. I've been and didn't find it to be outstanding but outside the park in both Wyoming and Montana there were more opportunities than I can remember.

Fly shops are cool and if you have no local folks to help you they are a whole lot better than no guidance at all. You gotta figure, at a shop you will get the same advice as the guys who held the door for you when they were leaving as you came in......... Unless you hire a guide from the shop, there is common knowledge advice and there is proprietary advice. What you want is the proprietary kind. You need a local for the real inside info, it's time to make some friends
shortyb and troutonfly10 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Bob Jacklin's.
mrfzx and roadkill1948 like this.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:32 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Having spent a little time in that area, I happen to agree with Hardyreels and would focus my attention on areas just outside YNP. This will provide an overview of some of the "other" nearby waters:

The Rivers of Southern Montana - Fly Fishing Information and Photos

For Shops, I am kinda' partial to Parks in Gardiner, Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone and The Troutfitter on the Henry's Fork...

This might come in handy:

Click the image to open in full size.

...and this is where I spend a lot of my time when I am up there...

Click the image to open in full size.

That's Silver's side of the River...

PT/TB
troutonfly10 likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all

I too will be in West Yellowstone this June... So looking forward to fishing water I have not been on in a while. I look forward to meeting in person many of the guys/ guides / shop owners I deal with all season long. Its a family trip, with three days scheduled for fly fishing only.... should be fun. I look forward to reading what people have to post on the subject.
Thanks

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for that chart Mr Planet...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 05-31-2013, 04:44 PM

tromak is on a distinguished road

If your in Montana in June you should make your way to hardin one night after fishing and hit the bighorn the next day. its a bit of a drive, about 4 or 5 hours at least from ynp(maybe more) but june is good on the bighorn.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:41 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Will be in West Yellowstone around mid September.......I plan on dropping a "few dollars into the collection box.." and working my way up river from there........too bad I couldn't make it work out for November, with a 6 weight rod and a sinking tip line.........maybe next year.......

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton