The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Polorized glasses.Yes or NO?

From a safety standpoint you need to wear glasses to protect your eyes from the hook.

This what a pheasant tail nymph looks like when it hooks your eye.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is how your eye will end up.

Click the image to open in full size.

They might as well be polarized to cut out reflected glare.

They might as will be tinted to help you pick out fish. The best tint for most freshwater situations is copper tinted lenses.

So at a minimum get a pair of copper tinted polarized lenses.

Expensive polarized glasses are better without question and in my opinion glass senses are better than plastic. Even if you cannot afford the best or even the better glasses, do get a pair of polarized glasses.
gzarboni likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-04-2013, 07:15 PM

mryan2176 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by half fast View Post
They're very helpful for seeing into the water, and also for cutting glare off the water even when you're just looking across the water.

Are the $250 glasses better than the $15 variety? Yes. Enough to justify the extra cost? Not to me, but that's a personal decision. As often as sunglasses get dropped overboard, sat on, stepped on, etc., I can't see spending hundreds on them. For me, the cheap ones work well enough.
After losing a couple expensive pairs, I buy the walmart specials for 15 dollars. They might not work quite as well but they do work and if I lose a pair, I'm not worried about it. I usually wear them, especially when I'm after carp. Sure helps to see the fish most of the time. Still need the right sun to see in the rivers I fish though, it it's overcast I don't wear them usually. Although after the previous post, I might start, ouch....
Old 06-04-2013, 09:02 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Here's a couple of points to ponder. I always wear polarized glasses outdoors. Once you see the benefit of glare reduction while driving, you will too. If they are not marked or if there is any doubt, just put one pair in front of another. Turn one pair 180 degrees to the other, in other words 1 horizontal and one vertical. The view through that lens will go completly opaque. The light will be polarized out in both planes.
Another important consideration is the color of the underside of the brim on your hat. White or bright,light colors will reflect glare from the water onto your face,the backs of your sunglass lenses and into your eyes. Ever get a headache even with a hat and good glasses ? The brim may be the culprit !
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:48 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Polarized glasses are an absolute must (for me at least). It cuts glare down big time. I don't know what I would do without them....I probably wouldn't go fishing. Even a cheap pair is better than none at all. Another advantage of polarized glasses is that you will be able to see right through the water, spotting fish and wading obstacles will be MUCH easier. I personally wear Smith Optics Polarchromic copper lenses. If at all possible, try them on before you buy. Once you know what frame fits your face, look around online and you will be able to find substantial savings.

Chase
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

A little info about sunglasses for ya: polarization is pretty consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer. Meaning that whether one wears $12 Berkeley glasses, or $250 Smith Action Optics, they both reduce glare about the same amount. the difference is construction.

Cheaper sunglasses, such as the ones I used to buy from say Wal-mart laminate the color/polarization to the outside surface of the lens. This laminate is a plastic film, which means that it will scratch pretty easily, reducing the effectiveness of the polarization, and robbing the user of optical clarity, requiring you to buy a new pair more often.

More expensive glasses, and in particular, glass lenses, sandwich the polarization/color in the middle of the lens, making them much more impervious to scratching. Also, all glass is not all the same. The higher the quality of the glass, the better the optical clarity, potentially allowing the user to see more detail from greater distances. The price paid for using glass is in weight. Glass is significantly heavier than polycarbonate.

Further, some manufacturers spend a lot of time and effort on the colors/gradient hues of their glasses, trying to filter out color wavelengths that hide fish from the user, or to reduce eye fatigue, or both. Naturally, all of that costs money as well.

Finally, there are considerations in fit and finish, style, etc. For instance, I used to buy a couple pairs of cheap glasses ($12-$15) every season, but a couple years ago, I decided to buy some premium sunglasses, mostly for the fit. The cheaper glasses irritated my ears, and put pressure on my temples, sometimes causing headaches. I found a pair of high end glasses that fit properly, and those problems went away. The other primary consideration for buying that particular pair was the glass lenses, giving me a real bump in optical clarity and good resistance to scratching, as I am constantly dropping my glasses.

My recommendation to you would be if the cheap ones are comfortable for you, go with them for now. meanwhile try on various pairs until you find that pair that gives you exactly the fit and finish, style, optical clarity, color/hue gradient that you need. then and only then would I pull the trigger on an expensive pair of shades.

Peace.
mcnerney likes this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 06-05-2013, 10:31 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Here's a couple of points to ponder. I always wear polarized glasses outdoors. Once you see the benefit of glare reduction while driving, you will too. If they are not marked or if there is any doubt, just put one pair in front of another. Turn one pair 180 degrees to the other, in other words 1 horizontal and one vertical. The view through that lens will go completly opaque. The light will be polarized out in both planes.
Another important consideration is the color of the underside of the brim on your hat. White or bright,light colors will reflect glare from the water onto your face,the backs of your sunglass lenses and into your eyes. Ever get a headache even with a hat and good glasses ? The brim may be the culprit !
Very good point(s) especially the colour of the underside of the brim. From reading a long time back, green is the best 'under brim' choice.
Fred
Old 06-05-2013, 05:40 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Answer: Yes. Unless you don't mind burning your retinas during a full day of sunny summer fishing.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:29 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

sight nymphing , and similar with drys they are a neccesity as far as I am concerned...plus a day on the water with sun and glare they can save you...

I have some costa del mars I have been using for years...a mirrored blue pair for super sunny days...and a gray/brown pair a bit lighter for overcast...

I would not be caught on the water without them...the ability to see fish for me is paramount!

unfortunaley as with many things...you get what you pay for...glass lenses are best for optical aspect...but they are heavier too...I just use plastic lenses...and have had them changed a few times in the last ten years...something you can do if you buy a better quality pair...

all the best...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 06-11-2013, 11:22 AM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road

I remember my old man telling me about his new polarized glasses way back in the 70s. The work, I don't leave home with out them. I've got a dedicated pair of Orvis Polarized glasses that stay in my vest, so not to be without a pair, ever, while fishing!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

everybody agrees about it...YES...will simply add this...always wear a hat or cap with a long visor...it'll improve your underwater vision by 20%...experiment it and you'll see the difference.