The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 AM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice
Default Polorized glasses.Yes or NO?

I was wondering if I need polorized glasses? Do they really make a difference? Do they help when trying to navagate the river while wading? If they are a must, which ones are good. I have seen them at walmart for $10-$15 bucks but i have also seen the ones in the Orvis catalog for $250. Anyone out there that can give me some advice? Thanks

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/

Last edited by gzarboni; 06-03-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:45 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Polorized glasses.Yes or NO?

Yes they are helpful. They help you see the contours of the river bottom and improve your ability to spot fish. Use the search function in the bar above, right next to 'new posts' and type in sunglasses. There was a recent thread in which people talked about their favorites. Personally I got a good deal on some Natives and am happy with them.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

IMHO polarized sunglasses....and I mean good ones, are INDESPENSIBLE!!! I prefer Costa del Mar....but there are other good ones out there. Beware of counterfites!
rwmiller likes this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 AM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

They're very helpful for seeing into the water, and also for cutting glare off the water even when you're just looking across the water.

Are the $250 glasses better than the $15 variety? Yes. Enough to justify the extra cost? Not to me, but that's a personal decision. As often as sunglasses get dropped overboard, sat on, stepped on, etc., I can't see spending hundreds on them. For me, the cheap ones work well enough.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.

Last edited by half fast; 06-03-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: 42
Old 06-03-2013, 09:51 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

They won't help you see better in murky water, so don't expect that. They can't hurt, and after wearing cheapo clip-ons for years, I finally plunked down $450 for prescription polarized sunglasses. That was mostly because I bought a convertible last Fall, however.

I have been able to see fish with polarized sunglasses that were invisible when the sunglasses were removed. You're still going to have to look carefully, but they do help. You'll still need to know where the likely spots are on a stream, and be careful not to get too close while using your new X-Ray vision goggles.

Being able to see the bottom while wading is a great help. I've posted that my wife slipped and broke her ankle two years ago, and that was in less than a foot of water, so it's not just the deeper spots that pose a danger.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, you need them.
yonder likes this.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 AM

nm_gringo is on a distinguished road

I have found that when paying over 60$, you are really paying for stronger materials (frame/lens), not necessarily better eye protection.

I have owned 160$ oakleys and 45$ Natives and they both protected my eyes and cut glare the same. The oakleys were maybe a bit more durable, but ill never spend that much again on shades.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:44 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

A pair of good polarized sunglasses are as important as to have a fly on your fly line.
I have a beaten $12 Berkley Polarized Sunglasses that I often put on for running. along side the Oakley. They'll do the trick as well.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:48 AM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice
Cool Re: Polorized glasses.Yes or NO?

Thanks for all the quick replies. At least I know that I need a pair. What kind and how much I want to spend is the next question.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

What you spend will depend on what your willing to spend! I'm with runningfish as I have a good pair of Oakleys as well as a cheaper pair of Berkleys. Both do the job. Being a contact lens wearer and always outside I'm never without sunglasses and I always have an extra pair in the car. It's amazing how even in low light at the end of the day how much more you can see in the water with the polarized! Many times even at dusk I can spot a follow up with shades on that I otherwise would not have seen!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser