The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 10:40 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Purple Haze

spelThis may be better suited for the "Fly" forum, but I figured more use them than tie them. So here goes.....

A friend has suggested strongly that I bring some "Purple Haze" Adams with me to Montana this July (first week). We will be fishing the East and West forks of the Bitterroot, the Lochsa, and the Selway among others. I have seen them tied in the parachute configuration. Has anybody tried them in the conventional wrapped hackle style? Which is better? He also told me not to tie them too small, and suggested 14's and 12's. Anybodies thoughts?

One more question: what is your favorite dry fly flotant?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Last edited by mrfzx; 06-03-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Purple Haze

Homer: Yes, I like the Purple Haze in the parachute style, never tried it in a traditional style. 12's and 14's work on the Green so I'm guessing your friend has given you some good advice.
mrfzx likes this.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Fish see purple really well. It works here in CO so I'm guessing it would work in MT too. My favorite floatant is Aqueal first thing in the morning or whenever I change flies. Then use Moon Dust or Frogg's Fanny to touch up. I've also been playing with Tiemco's Shimmy Shakky aerosol spray and have had great results.

Randy
Old 06-07-2013, 11:49 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

And I float my flies with Fly Sauce...pure silicon goodness! I didn't know Jimi tied flies?
Old 06-07-2013, 02:58 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Homer, the Purple Haze is a parachute pattern. I've never heard of or seen a traditionally hackled Purple Haze. Follow your friend's advice. I don't think it's a magic fly, but it sure has gained popularity out here over the past few years. I still use plain old grey parachute Adams. Sometimes hare's ear bodies.

There is a guide down the 'Root that made up a pattern he calls the Brindle Chute...just another parachute fly but with a unique body color. His is a secret blend of olive, rusty orange, gold I think. He swears by it, of course.

Good luck when you get out here! Enjoy the country down there, the forks are really nice streams with great cutthroats. Don't pass up the fishing the middle river on your way to the Lochsa.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:31 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Here is one that is not tied parachute style. With the soft hackle perhaps it is intended to be fished sub-surface?

gzarboni likes this.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:40 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

For me Purple haze mean something else..... just put purple haze on Google, and you'll see!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:06 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben664 View Post

For me Purple haze mean something else..... just put purple haze on Google, and you'll see!
Yeah, I thought I was going to click in here to see old footage of Jimi Hendrix fly-fishing... upside-down, left-handed of course!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring