The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Woolly Buggers for Trout

Click the image to open in full size.

Woolly buggers became one of my favorite trout flies over the last week. Recent rain meant water clarity was poor. A bigger offering that was easier for trout to locate was just what they wanted.

One of the best things about woolly buggers is how versatile they are. They can be drifted, stripped, twitched, swung, and fished down and across. They’re effective in sizes 2-12. You can catch stocker trout or big wild fish.

Everyone knows that big brown trout are nocturnal predators, but I’d never fished for trout at night before. Thirty minutes into throwing black beaded woolly buggers on one of my favorite Driftless Area streams had me hooked. Detecting the strike isn’t much of an issue. The first one I caught gave a violent take just under the surface. The second 16″+ brown trout charged my drifting bugger. You don’t have to worry about setting the hook.

The next day I found myself on a portion of stream I’d never fished. It was known for big browns. The water was murky, and I knew I’d have to throw something they could find. After swinging a #4 olive woolly bugger over a downed tree I hit a snag. Nope, big brown trout. I caught two more within 10 minutes, and would pull several more good sized wild trout out of the stretch. The success I had on those two outings gave me the confidence to keep slinging buggers for the next five days. I’m glad I did because I caught a lot more trout, and the ones I caught were bigger than average.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woolly Buggers for Trout

Congrats on the very successful outing and beautiful trout!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I have been known to favor a bugger or two in my day!

Good fishing!
mbchilton likes this.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 PM

hooked1 will become famous soon enough

Hands down the most over looked,under stated bug about.

Scott
fredaevans and mbchilton like this.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:56 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Woolly Buggers work well on other fish, too.

Dennis
mbchilton likes this.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:57 PM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

Ahhh... the woolly bugger, it was first fly I ever tied and will forever be the mascot of my lifetime journey through the art of fly fishing.
mcnerney and rccola712 like this.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:56 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

Dennis
More power to Dennis for the above. Other that just change the colour, this would be (if I had to pick) one of the only two flies I'd carry. The other would be a bead head Prince Nymph.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:06 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Great thread and just the kind of verification I was looking for with nymphing. I haven't done too much and normally go with dry flies late in the season but a few hours ago I ordered a nice beadhead assortment that's loaded with prince nymphs and woolly buggers.
Can't wait to get these in the water.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-10-2013, 07:48 PM

hooked1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

Dennis
One of my favorite statements is"Give me 4 sizes and 3 color and I will never need another fly".Of course you could never tell that by the masses of tying material I have. LOL

Scott
Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

To date most of my trout have been caught on streamers. Specifically krystal olive woolly buggers. I guess the rubber legs add more vibrations and push more water. They're more successful on a down and across and usually get hit on a swing and even an upstream retrieve.

Love em.
mcnerney and kylebass91 like this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com