The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 08:33 PM

defishing is on a distinguished road
Default Frustrating Day

I know it's part of the sport...but damn for a new guy it's frustrating. Fished a stream today that is usually calm but due to recent rains it's been pretty turbid. Stood in a pool with fish everywhere but couldnt get anything to the bottom where they were. Had a few give it a look but no takers...didn't get skunked but thought it could have been a better day. Not complaining...any time I can spend on the stream beats working!
Old 06-22-2013, 08:38 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Frustrating Day

Welcome to the club...........stay with it.......as I have said before.......any challenge you face today, will make you a more knowledgeable fisherman tomorrow........give us some more info as to where you were fishing, what you were using, go into details.......and maybe some of us grey beards can offer some advice!!
mcnerney likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 06-22-2013, 08:44 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Hard not to think back about what you might have done differently, been there! Sounds like it was nice to get out though. Were you nymphing or using streamers? For nymphing perhaps you just needed a longer tippet and more weight? Can make it tough to land a fish if the leader gets really long, but that problem beats not hooking much If you were fishing streamers might be worth getting a sink tip you can attach to your fly line. A lot of fly shops will sell them or make them or you can get them online. They help get your line under the water and down to the fish.

To follow Yonder's comment, I do have a beard but it only has a little grey so take my advice with a grain of salt
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:04 PM

I fished White Clay Creek in Delaware...still learning the stream and fly fishing in general. I used Wolly buggers, Micky Finn, royal coachman, San Juan worms, midges, and a few that I'm not sure what the proper name is. Thanks for the encouragement...just being on the water is enjoyment to me...having the time of my life learning.

Length of the tippet may have had something to do with it....since I had changed flies as often as I did i didn't even think about that.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

When nymphing I like to start with tippet length (from indicator if using one, down to the fly/weight) of about 2x the depth of the water. If the water is moving fast then it is longer, if it is moving slowly then shorter. Generally you want your fly to tick bottom periodically and you'll likely lose some flies if you are getting deep enough.

For streamers it is a different story. I like using a length of sinking line I attach to the end of my fly line. From there is it often a short section of tippet.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:35 PM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about

I too had a somewhat frustrating day today, but as the others are saying, if you face a challenge now, you'll do what it takes to figure it out later which makes you more skilled. You just gotta work for it
Old 06-23-2013, 08:05 AM

paflyfish is on a distinguished road

I know the White Clay Creek on the PA side and know what you mean. It really rises and falls with the rain and does a lot of drainage for the area. It is nice since it is close.

I am new to fly fishing as well. Took a 2 day class last year and that got me started. I have been doing spin fishing for many years and am pretty good at it. Some days when fly fishing and struggling to figure out how to handle a situation I wish I had my spinning equipment with me. I am sure I would get a hit. The biggest thing for me is getting the fly down deeper in moving water and then being able to lift the line again without making lots of noise. With the spinning rod I would be able to target the area easily.

I have to say I am enjoying the challenge of learning a new way to fish. And when it works like it should, I find it very gratifying. I came home one day during trout season very frustrated. I was having a hard time moving along the creek due to all the blowdowns from recent big storm, got no bites and set a record for length of leaders and numbers of flies lost. Wasnt sure when I would pick up a flyrod again. A couple of hours later I was thumbing through a flyfishing magazine and planning my next trip to the water!

Keith
Old 06-23-2013, 09:25 AM

Keith, we are in the same boat...I agree when you get a fish on it makes all the other stuff not so bad. I really enjoy the challenges and hope to spend a lot of years trying to perfect it. Maybe we'll catch up on the stream one day...I've been wanting to fish the PA side on the White Clay.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Randy, you know how gray my beard is!

You have the right attitude! It's sometimes frustrating when you know there are fish that can likely be caught, but you can't seem to find the correct combination to make it happen. IMO, those are the types of days that we can learn from the most. The days of easy fishing, when most things we try will work, can give us a bit of too much confidence, and when the tough days happen, brings us back down to the reality of what fishing can often be.

There could have been several possible answers to what you encountered. Personally, I think I would have gone bigger with the fly, particularly if the water was a bit muddy or stained, perhaps flashier, and heavier. This is where having a variety of flies on hand can come into play. The usual flies that work when conditions are ideal or close to it, may not be what you need when the situation becomes more extreme.

If you recall, when we were looking at the flies in the boxes I showed you, I like variety!

Tippets & leaders are easy to adjust, but even having that corrected if you can't get the fly down to where it needs to be, you still haven't solved the entire problem.

Next time we meet, I'll try to put together a few flies that may fit the conditions you encountered a bit better & perhaps will aid you next time.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:46 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like tung-head nymphs, tung-head SJ Worms..