The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 11:24 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default W. Virginia FF Options for Trout - any suggestions?

I just got a free pass from visiting the inlaws to head out on my own for a long week-end of fly fishing. I typically head south to the Smokies but wanted to try another place. Anyone here know any fishing options in West Virginia? Not looking for specific honey holes but any river names based on personal experience would be appreciated.
I have read about the Cranberry River & Seneca Creek...but the fishing report was a few years old. I have heard of the Pipestem resort and the Blue stone river...is that a good stream?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM

attackone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: W. Virginia FF Options for Trout - any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
I just got a free pass from visiting the inlaws to head out on my own for a long week-end of fly fishing. I typically head south to the Smokies but wanted to try another place. Anyone here know any fishing options in West Virginia? Not looking for specific honey holes but any river names based on personal experience would be appreciated.
I have read about the Cranberry River & Seneca Creek...but the fishing report was a few years old. I have heard of the Pipestem resort and the Blue stone river...is that a good stream?

Thanks
i love the Cranberry River have been going to it for years and it is loaded with fish
Old 06-26-2013, 12:03 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Cranberry is a good one...might also try Shavers Fork, Elk Creek at Elk Springs Resort, Second Creek, Glade Creek, or any of the small mountain creeks in Monongahela National Forest. Those small creeks should all produce Brookies.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:35 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Looks like the Cranberry could be an option. Do you stay in Richwood and access the river via St Rt 76 or do you camp along the river itself? I was reading about the Elk River and it appears that the locals strongly suggest hiring a guide since the stream is so 'tough'...
Old 06-26-2013, 01:06 PM

attackone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Looks like the Cranberry could be an option. Do you stay in Richwood and access the river via St Rt 76 or do you camp along the river itself? I was reading about the Elk River and it appears that the locals strongly suggest hiring a guide since the stream is so 'tough'...
i do both acutally, if u camp keep ur food locked up because of the bears...i have never fly fished the elk and it has been years since i have fished it..been waiting to go really bad, but i have heard nothing but great things about it
Old 06-26-2013, 01:50 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
I was reading about the Elk River and it appears that the locals strongly suggest hiring a guide since the stream is so 'tough'...
I guess that could be true certain times of the year...I fished it 3 days in October a few yrs back and had no problems finding and fooling fish. Access was easy right at the resort property.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 PM

j lee is on a distinguished road

I grew up in W Va but did not fly fish then. I too have wanted to explore the fly fishing there. The Cranberry and Elk are on my hit list. I grew up in White Sulphur Springs and know there are some guides and shops in Lewisburg 9 miles away if you want to inquire about streams in southern W Va. Not sure of names but a Google search should get you there.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:23 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I moved from West Virginia to Oklahoma. Took up fly fishing for trout a few years ago in Oklahoma. I always hit the Elk when I go back, caught my biggest rainbow there. They're lots of places to fish for trout, depends on what you're after. Lot of brookie streams.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:07 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

The Elk does have nice fish...

Click the image to open in full size.

mysticm and troutchaser8 like this.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 AM

Mikel...wow great fish. Must have been tons of fun hooking them. Thanks for sharing.