The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 04:16 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spring Creek Twice in One Week!

First was my birthday trip last Monday, and then my son and I hit it again this morning. It sure does get light early in my neck of the woods! We left the house at 5:15 a.m. and it was already light enough to fish. We arrived at the spring and started fishing around 6:30. A few fish were working the surface, but nothing in a regular pattern so we rigged up with our usual of a Parasol Emerger on top trailing a bead-head Pheasant-tail nymph followed by a scud. To no avail, there was no bite, period...

When we arrived there was a bull moose in the upper reaches of one arm of the spring and he stuck around for quite a while until a 4-wheeler came by on the road and spooked him. A little later we had a cow and a calf moose make an appearance but soon left. And, towards the end of our morning another bull moose came over the hill to the north and noisily splashed down in the spring right across from where we were fishing, spooking all the fish.

My son managed two very small fish while I landed an 8-incher and a 13-inch brown. We both had good fish on but lost them all. In all it was a great morning out, with very little catching, a lot of fishing and even more enjoyment of the nature that surrounded us!

Just as we were leaving the spring's resident trumpeter swan swam over to where the moose was feeding and actually chased him from the water. Talk about your David and Goliath, what a hoot!

Here are the pics:

Early morning on 'No-Tellum' Spring Creek:
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is a great pic of how clear the water is and prolific the weed growth. There are soooo many insects, scuds and other life in these weed beds. The fish grow very fat and healthy in this particular spring:

Our early-morning bull moose:

A large Green Drake spinner that wandered from the big river over to the spring for a short visit - I put him back in the water after the photos and 20-yards downstream he was breakfast for a hungry trout!:

Our mid-morning moose visitors:

And our entertainment to take us to the end of our outing:

Here is the swan chasing the moose from the spring:

And here he is leaving for parts unknown:

Tight Lines all!

Kelly.
imxer, fysh, mcnerney and 7 others like this.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:05 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Spring Creek Twice in One Week!

I love to fish, but that area would appeal to me even without a rod. Nice pics!
Old 06-29-2013, 05:24 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

As is your standard, excellent trip report and beautiful photos Kelly! Thanks for sharing. That spring creek sure is clear!
Old 06-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice set of photographs Kelly, and a belated happy birthday also. The bull is a nice sight for sure.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-29-2013, 05:44 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. I checked the photos closely and it appears these were two different bulls, although antler growth appeared to be about the same in size, but the two differed in antler 'points' (hard to tell with all the velvet).

Over the years we have been visited often by cow, calf and bull moose and its really good to see a healthy population continuing.

The kicker though was watching that bull moose high-tail it out of there with much churning and splashing to get out of the way of the swan - what a treat to watch that interchange between species.

Kelly.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly: Great looking photos, with that heavy weed growth it is amazing that you can ever get a fish to the net. Loved that swan chasing the bull moose, what a hoot!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road

Awesome pictures. Super jealous
Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Love the pictures and the trip report. Absolutely gorgeous.

But I'm concerned that you're disparaging a 13" wild brown trout as not a "good fish". I don't care where you are, a 13" wild brown trout is a good fish.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
Love the pictures and the trip report. Absolutely gorgeous.

But I'm concerned that you're disparaging a 13" wild brown trout as not a "good fish". I don't care where you are, a 13" wild brown trout is a good fish.
Sorry, no disparagement intended. Any fish out of the spring is a treat, and it is even more great to see future generations in the water also. Its just that when you are used to days with multiple 18 to 23-inch fish, a 13-incher sometimes feels a little lackluster

We were in no way disappointed by the day's catch or entertainment

Kelly.
diamond rush likes this.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 PM

streamborn_jr77 is on a distinguished road

really looks like an amazing spring! thats my favorite type of water! even though it can be challenging at times isnt that what were after anyways... lol Great pictures !