The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 10:00 AM

submariner is on a distinguished road
Cool Fly questions, Where are the pictures?

OK, I have been fly fishing for a few years. still a novice at it. but in all these threads I have looked at, I see pictures of guys fishing, guys holding fish they have caught and releasing back into the water.

That is great. But what did you use and how did you do it. give me a hint on what fly did you use and how you used it.

did you let it just float down the creek.

did you use a dry floating fly or let it sink. put a split shot on with what fly. cast down stream and let it drift across the stream and retrive it.

I guess you are getting my drift here,(no Pun intended).

so lets see some picture of you fly and how you used it.
imxer and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fly questions, Where are the pictures?

Hi,

Are you in Oregon, if so what are you fishing for, trout, salmon, etc?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-30-2013, 11:57 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
OK, I have been fly fishing for a few years. still a novice at it. but in all these threads I have looked at, I see pictures of guys fishing, guys holding fish they have caught and releasing back into the water.

That is great. But what did you use and how did you do it. give me a hint on what fly did you use and how you used it.

did you let it just float down the creek.

did you use a dry floating fly or let it sink. put a split shot on with what fly. cast down stream and let it drift across the stream and retrive it.

I guess you are getting my drift here,(no Pun intended).

so lets see some picture of you fly and how you used it.
---------------
Sub-

Good point. Seems to me the majority of posts in the Forum are about hardware. Would like to see more of them about fishing. An example is about "reading the water". The most expensive G-Whiz tackle will not catch much if the fisherman doesn't know how to locate the fish, or at least have a pretty good idea where they are.
Looking forward to your future posts.
Hardyreels and miller17 like this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY

Last edited by imxer; 06-30-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:33 PM

submariner is on a distinguished road

I am in southern oregon. I go for Trout. give me a nice little rainbow or a nice fat 10" brook and I am a happy little camper.

Build a nice little campfire cook em right out of hte creek, use little set up that looks like a tennis racket made from a willow, cook it up right there on the spot and I am in hog heaven.

Now that is eating at the finest dinner in the world. Next time I do it, I will post a picture or two.

So what do you use for a fly? like a previous post, you can have a cheap wal mart special or a high dallor custom made rod and real but if you don't have the fly that little trout or big fat boy salmon wants, you ain't doin' ****.

That is the long and short of it. did I say that....
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I will agree that photos and descriptions are better than none. However, that is really not why most fly fishers take photos. They are out there to fish and not to make a teaching sequence.

I probably write more technical teaching posts than most posters. But I like doing that. Others do not. They just want to fish and post about their trip. I think that is great.

Here is the hard truth about learning to fly fish. Fly fishing is situational.

By its very nature showing you a location and a photo of a fly plus how it was fished does not guarantee that if you had that same fly the next day and did the same thing at the same place, that you would catch a fish.

I am reading a book that I got from my son for Father's Day. It is AStream, American Writers on Fly Fishing. In it, Craig Mathews remembers Datus Proper's observation that, "the big angling frontiers were long ago conquered, and the little seemingly unimportant details, perhaps heretofore ignored, are some of all that's left in fly fishing."

That is why in my writing on this BB, I deal in the details of fly fishing. I have been fishing so long, this is where I learn new things, in examining the details that other fishers could care less about. The basics of reading water, matching the hatch, dead drift, etc, etc, have been long covered in many books.

I have been at this a very long time; and I can tell you without any hesitation on my part that if you want to learn to be an excellent fly fisher, reading the best instructional books is the way to do it and then go fish.

Fly fishing is a combination of science and art. The science part is learning the basic principles and learning them in a coherent and organized fashion. You must have a framework of basic knowledge upon which to build a systematic approach to your fishing. Then the art is in the applying this knowledge by fishing to see what works for you and what does not.

A piece by piece approach does not help if you don't know where the piece fits.

Let me put it this way, if I said I caught this fish by making a left handed curve cast and then a stack mend on the fast water, would that help you if you could not make a left handed curve or accurately place a stack mend, or were not sure how this fit into how to solve a fly fishing puzzle?

I have been where you are now and and I learned before youtube videos, teaching DVDs, and all the information that is available now. The best teacher in my view is when you find a rising fish that you cannot catch and need to solve that puzzle using your basic knowledge. If you don't have the knowledge to solve the puzzle, research it. Those are the lessons that stick with you.

For example, I recently posted this puzzle:

Solve the puzzle

If I said I caught the fish by casting behind the fish, it would only make sense if you know the optics of the fish's window. It is this type of basic knowledge that is needed to make sense of why my strategy works. Without it, you would not know why that works, and the "why" is more important than the "how." The very reason for my post was to teach about applying the window to solve this puzzle.

Fly fishing is situational. The best lessons are not those that apply to that single situation, but those that are interesting enough that the principle of the lesson, THE WHY sticks with you.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Silver has again put into words the thoughts of many who were unable to say in writing as he did!Well done! If you read what he posted and follow it without pictures you will become a better fly guy. Situational is a key word in fly fishing as everything changes and sometimes in an instant. Yes there are things that repeat in fly fishing and knowing the conditions that cause this repeat will make you a better fisherman. If a pink scud was shown catching a huge Brown Trout in a picture and then a description was written of how that Scud was fished to catch that Big Brown it may help you to do the same but I doubt it. There are to many variables that effect why that worked when it did to guarantee it's success.
Like Silver said read and read alot and if you find a picture that helps great! Ask questions about the flys used and the way they were presented because no picture can answer that for you.
I fish 5or6 and sometimes 7 days a week and many of my better trips have been improved by reading books as well as posts . Pictures are great but they tend to get expectations where they don't belong and it's great that they get me pumped up but it doesn't help the catch ratio!
And above all experience and time on the water improves you more than anything!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've been following this thread and have a second comment to make. If you look at some of the members who have made 1000 to 9000 posts and then begin to search their posts and threads, you will find many a description of what fly and how things were done.

In my own case I stopped making long detailed explanations for several reasons a while back. Reason #1; burn out, you write what could be an article only to see it disappear after a day or so as the topics change on a forum. Reason #2; I began to suspect that the forum was being data mined by people who were using material (plagiarizing) and that kinda turned me off.

I still write the how it's done posts now and then but as I said, within my 8 thousand + posts there are plenty. This is true for many of us where you notice a high post count.

The nature of the forum is that we have a constant influx of new members and therefore someone is always offering up a new fishing report. Perhaps this thread will inspire folks to start including more detail in reports.

I'll write up a how I fish my streamers for trout & salmon thread soon and post it as well as copy to my blog here.

I hope you'll stay with us and check out the depth of the forum. There is a tremendous amount of reading here.

Ard
imxer, mcnerney, jaybo41 and 3 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
I am in southern oregon. I go for Trout. give me a nice little rainbow or a nice fat 10" brook and I am a happy little camper.

Build a nice little campfire cook em right out of hte creek, use little set up that looks like a tennis racket made from a willow, cook it up right there on the spot and I am in hog heaven.

Now that is eating at the finest dinner in the world. Next time I do it, I will post a picture or two.

So what do you use for a fly? like a previous post, you can have a cheap wal mart special or a high dallor custom made rod and real but if you don't have the fly that little trout or big fat boy salmon wants, you ain't doin' ****.

That is the long and short of it. did I say that....
Met "Sub" a week'ish ago. He's a hard core small stream guy here in So. Oregon. Works at the Butte Falls Ranger Station, think I've go that right. Going over maps and turned bed sheet white .... Woozer moments as he was feeding me small candy bars and water. Ever had your hands shake so hard it took both to hold a glass in front of your mouth?

Back on point; if you want to know 'small stream fishing' in Southern Oregon he is "Da Man!"
Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with both Silver and Ard. I have tried in recent years to make sure I have a fly in the fish's mouth when I take a pic, but most of the time I'm trying to get a quick pic without stressing the fish too much so it can go back in the water to be caught another day.

As for how they were fished, it doesn't much matter since the fish where you are will see things in a different light in their waters. Search this forum for dry fly rigs, nymph rigs, multiple nymph rigs, dry-dropper rigs, etc., etc. and you will find an abundance of how-to's. Even the particular pattern of Pheasant-tail nymph I use in my favorite spring creek may not work where you are. Experimentation, investigation and time on the water will answer most of your questions, but the pictures posted here won't go very far in finding solutions to your home waters.

But, since you asked, here are a few:

Don't get so focused on the drake mayfly spinner that you miss the PT nymph I was using that day:
Click the image to open in full size.

A similar nymph to the one you saw on my rod before is now stuck in the lower jaw of this nice spring creek brown:

The reliable and consistent bead-head, flashback Pheasant-tail nymph from another viewpoint:

How about a butt-ugly streamer:

A dry flav mayfly:

I catch the majority of my fish subsurface with a three-nymph rig under an indicator. One of my three nymphs is usually a size 14 bead-head, flashback Pheasant-tail nymph like this one:

Good luck!

Kelly.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Nice fly Kelly.. is there a name for that 'pt-style' fly?