The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 10:51 AM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Iceland trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
Great fish and I'm eyeing your set-up; is it a 3wt or 5wt, couldn't quite make out the number but I love those sage 500 reels.
Thanks! I am also a fan of the 500 series reel. I was using my 505L on a 5 WT Z Axis. Unfortunately, the spindle cap popped off on the first day while landing my first char. Fortunately, I called Bill Archuleta and he sent out a replacement right away. My reel is now "complete" again.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:34 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650flyguy View Post
Thanks! I am also a fan of the 500 series reel. I was using my 505L on a 5 WT Z Axis. Unfortunately, the spindle cap popped off on the first day while landing my first char. Fortunately, I called Bill Archuleta and he sent out a replacement right away. My reel is now "complete" again.
wow I didn't know he had them; I used a generic nut cap that kind of stuck out a bit; did you glue this one on?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 PM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

I called Bill and he made one up for me. He makes them slightly larger than the originals and used a different plastic (that won't shrink). Bill said there was no reason to use glue, just tap it in with a mallet.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I called Bill and he made one up for me. He makes them slightly larger than the originals and used a different plastic (that won't shrink). Bill said there was no reason to use glue, just tap it in with a mallet.
Cool! Thanks for the info.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:49 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

Quote:
I had a great time in Iceland and did a bit of fishing.
Lake fishing for arctic char was fantastic. Lively fish that get into your backing.
Click the image to open in full size.
you have done a magnificent trip!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 AM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Fishing permits are required for moving water and some of the preferred rivers get quite costly and are often booked in advance.
Man I hope it never comes to that here...

Looks like a great trip! Thanks for taking us along

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Old 07-21-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceinak View Post
Man I hope it never comes to that here...
Me too. Europe makes one appreciate fishing in the States.