The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pat's Rubberlegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by long bow View Post
I'll tie mine in various sizes, and I've actually had some pretty good luck on 14s on a SUPER SECRET creek outside of Missoula Might be the fish though (Oh well). One great thing about tying your own flies is varying it up a bit from a shop bin. My bigger ones I'll throw on some legs reserved for streamers, leave 'em long, and let them undulate in the riffles. My thought being, most bugs aren't too keen floating mid-height, and are scuttling trying to get to safety. I've picked a few up with that pattern in the dead of winter, and it might not be the reason for the strike, but it makes me feel better if I think I had something to do with it.
I didn't know there were any SUPER Secret streams near Missoula! But intend to go to my favorite sorta-secret creek this weekend...I sure hope my intention comes to fruition. Maybe I'll make some size 14 rubber legs to try out...
Old 07-16-2013, 09:01 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I just got back from CO and had some great success dredging with PRLs. In fact, I went fishing with three buddies, none of whom had heard of the fly before, and I kept one PRL all day, but they collectively went through seven of mine and I finally starting throwing 20 Inchers at em to mix it up. It was all that was working that morning, and i had two other "go-to" flies trailing.

I went to re-stock on brown ones at the local shops, and one was sold out (to my "buddies" ) and the other didn't carry PRLs (?!?!). One buddy even told his brother (just starting out fly fishing) to get some (saw them when I as spooling his backing/line onto his reel).

I think it's the legs, I've never seen so many people so taken, so fascinated with a single fly so quickly... Looking at it, it IS pretty sexy

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

And yeah, I've fished it year-round... Sorry, had to tell that story, it was funny how much everyone liked it
Old 07-16-2013, 09:52 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I didn't know there were any SUPER Secret streams near Missoula! But intend to go to my favorite sorta-secret creek this weekend...I sure hope my intention comes to fruition. Maybe I'll make some size 14 rubber legs to try out...
Deanmt I hope it does and I hope you do! Maybe it might be when the water is low, a smaller bug seems more on the menu then other times? who knows.

You see, this SUPER SECRET creek is only 30 minutes outside of Missoula, so no one local ever goes there. No one outside of Montana has heard of it, and I've never seen an out-of-state plate. Also, no big bugs hatch on it either, so it never sees any pressure in the Spring. And it's really tough wading so in the summer it's all to myself as well.

The only time I really see people up there is in August; some cowboys get together for a branding or something

Good luck on the outing this weekend; hope it happens for you. Weather should be good throughout the week.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:11 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by long bow View Post
Deanmt I hope it does and I hope you do! Maybe it might be when the water is low, a smaller bug seems more on the menu then other times? who knows.

You see, this SUPER SECRET creek is only 30 minutes outside of Missoula, so no one local ever goes there. No one outside of Montana has heard of it, and I've never seen an out-of-state plate. Also, no big bugs hatch on it either, so it never sees any pressure in the Spring. And it's really tough wading so in the summer it's all to myself as well.

The only time I really see people up there is in August; some cowboys get together for a branding or something

Good luck on the outing this weekend; hope it happens for you. Weather should be good throughout the week.
Now I am actually curious. I thought you were being sarcastic but the details say otherwise. 30 minutes from town eh...I already have a 50 and 100 mile radius drawn around Missoula on my map, maybe I need a 25 mile ring as well...

It's pretty cool and makes me feel good when I actually stop and think about the sheer number of options to fish just a half hour from home.
long bow likes this.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:10 PM

idafish is on a distinguished road

I have been fishing the PRL all year since the first of March and I am hooked. They have been working good all summer. In the past I would only fish them from spring through the salmon fly hatch and again in the fall. Most of the bigger rainbows that I have caught this year have taken the rubber leg pattern. So far the best color for me has been tied with black and brown variegated chenille.