The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 05:02 PM

two_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the rough
Default Pat's Rubberlegs

I recently just discovered this fine bug and have fallen in love. I learned how to tie them, and although not perfect, I think they will fish well, so I plan on using them as my lead fly a majority of the season. I know they are supposed to represent the larger stone/salmon flies, but just curious who fishes them year round. I am currently tying them in size 12, but plan on tying them bigger as well. They are super buggy and I see no reason why they shouldn't work well after the salmon flies have hatched out and left the river. So who else is like me and plans on fishing them year round?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:10 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pat's Rubberlegs

I've never fished them, and I've never fished an area where there are salmon flies, but I did just tie some up for a fried of mine who does both of those.

He said that they life cycle of most of the stone flies is as long as 4 years.

That means that those nymphs are in the water year round, not just for a short period of time before the hatch.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is one great fly. I normally only use them on high water situations or larger water, maybe I should try them more often, but that is what I do. I tend to like the smaller sizes (10-12's).

Larry
Old 07-13-2013, 05:22 PM

two_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the rough

unlike my user name, the bigger, buggier, and leggier it is, the more I fish it. Depending on the water I am fishing, I tend to fish a size 6-12 with my lead fly. I have found the leggy bugs like the Pat's work great in the deeper, fast riffles. I actually hate fishing dries. i'm a bottom dweller, haha.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:30 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I fish them year round here in CO. It is a killer pattern. I have them tied up in three or four colors ranging in sizes from 4 to 12. I wrap mine in lead and sometimes through a tungsten bead up front too for added weight!

Randy
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:38 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I fish them year round. I very the sizes and colors for different stonefly nymphs.

As mentioned, they are best fished in faster and deeper water where they can tumble around.

Dennis
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:01 AM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

Mudbug tied them for me because I'm one lazy SOB! However I will say that I fish them everywhere as my lead fly! It's a great weight and great attractor.

Like Mudbug said the life cycle of the particular stonefly it represents is something insane like 7 years and so they are constantly in the system. I would tell you to not leave home without some regardless of the size of water. I have caught fish on Pats from the Colorado to small no name creeks in AZ!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

great thread...staple pattern in Co...especially the S Platte...I think where its originator is known for (Pat Dorsey) a very respected angler ...

great success for me as a top fly in a dropper rig. and I like to tie the dropper off at the eye of the hook rather than the hook to allow for what was mentioned earlier...a bit more of a tumbling effect. It imitates a stone or even salmon fly that lost its way...LOL...big trout love big bugs...

I like a hot wire or red copper j as the dropper fly...say size 18, with the PRL in size 6-8...maybe 20 inches of tippet between.I tie the cinch knot over on the eye of the lead bug to help imitate that flailing action.(trying to get more sideways movement) bugs dont flail in perfect streamline style while drifting downstream... in tailwaters a scud can also be a good partner with this ...

I think the batting average is about 50/50 as to which bug gets the grab...greatest thing about this bug is that its an easy tie...but the big PRL also works pretty well as an attractor too. those legs bouncing around look pretty real I would imagine.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 07-14-2013, 08:34 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

I am not familiar with this one, could u post a pic?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:37 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.