The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 01:34 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Took a kid fishing

I have a life long friend and when i say life long i mean from before kindergarten.We have fished together went to school together and been friends through it all except he has a drug problem and can't stay out of prison.He calls i chew him out about his kids needing him and he says i know but we are still friends even though i don't agree with his problem.Well he has 9 months left and is on the work crew for my county.I saw his son Zack at a ball game one night and asked if he wanted to go fishing and of course an 8yr old does.Friday rolled around and i went fishing that evening planning on taking Zack on Sat.Fishing on Friday was great but water was high.
Click the image to open in full size.
The fish didn't mind cause i done well with the first being a small rainbow.
Then the browns including one 16".
Well Saturday Zack went to visit his dad and i told my son Eli i was taking Zack fishing so he said he would go to cause Zack loves Eli who is 19.I went for an hour before picking up Zack and pickup a few.
The bow came from here.
Picked up Zack at 12pm then Eli.Zack had his casting rod and a can of worms he had dug .I told him by the end of the day he would have a fly rod in his hand.Eli put Zack on a Vladi worm and tipped it with a live worm and he got a fish.
This was a put and take stream so he kept some to eat.Here is Eli fishing.
Now Zack.
Zacks first fish was a rainbow and soon he had a brown and a brook.
We were winding down and i told Zack to give his rod to Eli and wade out with me ,i showed him how to hold my fly rod and told him to let the water drag the nymphs and lift the tip and flip it forward ,it was a nice little cast and he was rewarded with his first fish on a fly rod.It was a small rainbow.
I had a great time with him as did Eli.He chose to stay at my house til his mom got off work instead of going to his grandmothers,so we watched cartoons ,true grit and he ate popcorn and spaghetti.He told me when he left he didn't need his casting rod anymore,I think he might be hooked on the fly.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:51 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Took a kid fishing

Awesome!! Great to see that he can still find some positive influences/direction despite his fathers poor choices. Way to go! Rep points for that one
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent!!!gonna rep you too
Old 07-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Great Story,

I love hearing about kids and their first fly fishing experiences. Well done. I am sure he will remember that day for many years to come. Great pics / smiles as well.

Thanks for sharing.
mcnerney likes this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 07-15-2013, 03:48 PM

keiths is on a distinguished road

You, Sir are a true friend. You and your son are to be commended. Congrats to
Zac.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Shannon: Great story and even better that you offered to take young Zach out fishing and even better that you were able to get him into a few fish!

Larry

Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Nice job and it's always great to hook another fly fisherman.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:24 AM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

Stuff like that is what I'm really fightin for, I love seein stuff like that!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:37 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Great trip! Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside too

Randy
Old 07-19-2013, 01:54 PM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road

This is what its all about. If more guys and gals did this sort of thing for more kids out there just think of how many screwed up lives could be turned around. My hats off to you sir. Your one of the good ones. Thank you.