The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 11:48 AM
j lee is on a distinguished road
Default Smallmouth gear?

I primarily trout fish western NC but plan on exploring more into eastern Tn and maybe up in to the Va's. I've never fished for smallies but plan to soon. Is there a perfect weight / length rod that I should use. Right now I have only 4, 5, and 8wt rods. From what I have read, 6 to 8 is the most used for smallies. For some reason, I have wanted a 7 wt for a while and think this might be a great all around choice realizing I really have nothing to base this on. Any help or thoughts that might steer me in the right direction? A 6 wt seems logical since I don't currently have one and I can use it for streamer trout fishing. Just want to make sure I get something with enough backbone for smallmouth. I will probably spend most of my time on the French Broad and smaller streams.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Smallmouth gear?

I personally like a fast 6wt or a mod/fast 7wt that is 9' long. Some of my favorite flies for (river) smallies are clousers and deer hair poppers. Each have either some weight to them or some wind resistant bulk that can make casting a challenge on something too slow for me.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:33 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I've used from 3 wt's up to 8 wt's for Smallies, based simply on the waters size & the size flies I want to use. Generally these 2 considerations limit the size of the fish, and even the occasional bruiser is not a problem, no matter what rod wt I might be using. That's fishing!

There's really no right or wrong to it & often it's just a matter of personal preference. For the majority of the places I've fished for them, I go with a 8'6" 6 wt that I've had for many years. (Cabela's Gary Borger Signature model, no longer made.)

No matter what you decide to try, there's always going to be conditions, situations & fish size that won't fit the rod. It's always a compromise no matter how much thought we put into it.

Frankly, you would probably be fine with what you have. Of course, sometimes we all need an excuse to buy another rod!
jaybo41, krikau27 and yonder like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
I've used from 3 wt's up to 8 wt's for Smallies, based simply on the waters size & the size flies I want to use. Generally these 2 considerations limit the size of the fish, and even the occasional bruiser is not a problem, no matter what rod wt I might be using. That's fishing!

There's really no right or wrong to it & often it's just a matter of personal preference. For the majority of the places I've fished for them, I go with a 8'6" 6 wt that I've had for many years. (Cabela's Gary Borger Signature model, no longer made.)

No matter what you decide to try, there's always going to be conditions, situations & fish size that won't fit the rod. It's always a compromise no matter how much thought we put into it.

Frankly, you would probably be fine with what you have. Of course, sometimes we all need an excuse to buy another rod!
All I need is an excuse. A 6 is all I probably need for my area. Now the shopping fun begins.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I personally like a fast 6wt or a mod/fast 7wt that is 9' long. Some of my favorite flies for (river) smallies are clousers and deer hair poppers. Each have either some weight to them or some wind resistant bulk that can make casting a challenge on something too slow for me.
Gonna start the search for probably a good 6 wt.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:07 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I really enjoy my l-tech 6wt... Casts effortlessly and I really enjoy the reel seat design
Old 07-17-2013, 09:10 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I have used a 6wt more than any other weight but if you already have a 5wt,thats a good rod to use.A lot of people prefer that weight and you can always upline it with a 6 wt line if neeed.Your 8wt would take care of the bigger flies.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Bigjim is spot on.

To answer your question from my perspective, what size flies and what type of fly will you be using?

I fish a 590 when targeting smallies and throw #6 streamers to #14 dries. It works well enough on medium size streams. I just need to change my stroke as the fly's weight dictates and the distance I need to cast.

Full disclosure: I did add a 6 wt for streamer fishing to handle weighted or larger flies, admittedly I am more of a trout guy. Add to that, I have a weakness when it comes to tackle.
bigjim5589, double d and yonder like this.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 AM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road

I use a Redington 5/6 (Full outfit for like $150) for small mouth, and I have never had any issue landing them. The other good thing, is if the smalllies arent hitting, I can still throw a fairly small fly that will catch the panfish.

If you are going to start exploring Va, let me know, maybe we can meet up and I can show you some good water. There are two very good ones to choose from, The New River and The James.
double d likes this.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite1989 View Post
I use a Redington 5/6 (Full outfit for like $150) for small mouth, and I have never had any issue landing them. The other good thing, is if the smalllies arent hitting, I can still throw a fairly small fly that will catch the panfish.

If you are going to start exploring Va, let me know, maybe we can meet up and I can show you some good water. There are two very good ones to choose from, The New River and The James.
Sounds good. Will let you know if I make it up that way. Grew up in WVa, White Sulphur Springs, and want to get back up that direction.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:51 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I also agree with BigJim.........I typically go with a 3 or 4 weight, because I know the average size fish in the New River in Ashe County, North Carolina........plus there are lots of sunfish that love to hit top water poppers as well.......you can land a good sized smallmouth on a 4 weight....and have alot of fun in the process.......
double d likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton