The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 02:12 PM

heyjack is on a distinguished road
Default trout fishing in NH in august

Im going to be in the white mountains in NH sometime around the middle of august. So, how will the trout fishing be?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: trout fishing in NH in august

Water levels are good. The temperature has dropped.
You might find some fish depending on where you go.

I'll be around for NH Antiques Week beginning on Tuesday and I'll know better then

I was all over Vermont earlier this week.
The devastation to the rivers from Hurricane Irene 2 Augusts ago is amazing.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:52 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjack View Post
Im going to be in the white mountains in NH sometime around the middle of august. So, how will the trout fishing be?
The best fishing is going to be at higher elevations, where it's cooler.

Said another way, it will be best in waters where the temperature is no higher than about 68.

As Rip Tide said, the water levels are very good for this late in the year and the water temperatures are good, too.

If you're in the Conway area, stop by North Country Anglers fly shop. They always have the latest info available.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:03 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

I love that part of the country, been there a dozen times, but never fished. It's my wife's favorite place to shop. I have been in North Country Fly Shop and thought it was well stocked. I can't pass a fly shop without stopping in to gaze and shoot the ...you know what! Are prices reasonable for an out of state fisherman to try his hand at Trouting in NH. What would I need, coming from Canada?
Old 08-03-2013, 03:33 PM

where are some good places to stay with fishing nearby? No camper or tent, so need cabins. Thinking about lost river campground, been there before in early july and had some good fishing.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:41 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I love that part of the country, been there a dozen times, but never fished. It's my wife's favorite place to shop. I have been in North Country Fly Shop and thought it was well stocked. I can't pass a fly shop without stopping in to gaze and shoot the ...you know what! Are prices reasonable for an out of state fisherman to try his hand at Trouting in NH. What would I need, coming from Canada?
Prices of what? Licenses? Accommodations? Food?

You can get a 7-day non-resident fishing license for $35.

If you come after Labor Day (Sep. 2), things are a lot less crowded and some things are cheaper. The fishing is good, too. Probably better than it usually is in August.

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Quote:
where are some good places to stay with fishing nearby? No camper or tent, so need cabins. Thinking about lost river campground, been there before in early july and had some good fishing.
Conway/Jackson - Saco, Ellis, Swift Rivers
Gorham/Berlin - Androscoggin, Peabody, Wild Rivers
Twin Mt./Bretton Woods - Ammonoosuc River
Lincoln - Pemigewassett River
Old 08-03-2013, 04:02 PM

do kids under 16 still need a licenses?
Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
No.

Not only that, but there's a section of the Saco River that is reserved for fisherman 12 and under.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're thinking of Maine.
When I was a kid, I hated having to spend my limited funds on a fishing license