The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 12:20 AM

trapstar92 is on a distinguished road
Default After Hooking a Trout

Hello everyone,

I recently took up fly fishing this summer and have had just a little success. However, the last five fish I have hooked have broken off after being hooked for a good 10 seconds plus. Is their a certain retrieve method or tips to help this guy out!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:04 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: After Hooking a Trout

With five in a row snapping your tippet I would check the age of the tippet material first. If the tippet is fresh next check would be your knots, are you wetting your knots before pulling tight?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
With five in a row snapping your tippet I would check the age of the tippet material first. If the tippet is fresh next check would be your knots, are you wetting your knots before pulling tight?
That's #1 & #2. #3 would be checking your leader as well. #4 would be reconsidering the tippet strength. (You can't put a lot of pressure on 6X.)
Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

When you hook a fish are you reeling in with the reel or stripping in the line with your non-dominant hand? My father always taught me to do this with smaller fish and it has always worked. Dont forget to play the fish and work it in if need be and dont rip it in like a bass pro.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

I have always assumed that when my tippet is curled at the end after loosing a fish then the knot failed. If the end is straight, the tippet snapped beyond the knot for other reasons. Does that make sense?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:48 AM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

You can assess the leader and tippet to determine how the break occurred. My guess is the knots since tippet is very strong. You may be developing wind knots when casting. That will seriously decrease tippet strength.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:58 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

But with wind knots you'll probably break off "cleanly" and then assume it was a strong knot, lol .

I'd suspect knot problems -- for years I tied the improved clinch and not well, at that. After losing fish too frequently I taught myself to tie the uni knot and several others -- since then I haven't broken off on a fish in several years now. It's often hard to break off when I'm snagged on the bottom and I need to break off. Particularly in the larger line sizes.

Most line is pretty strong -- check knots first. If you're stuck on one that you don't tie well, learn another one.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:01 AM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Tippet will break at a weak point. The knots in the system are the weakest points, either at hook eye, leader connection, or in the middle of the tippet.

You can usually tell what broke by looking at the tippet.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:02 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum !
Lots of great info already. Be careful where you store anything made of monofiliment. It will deteriorate quickly in sunlight.
When casting or practicing, if you are hearing a crack like a bullwhip you will weaken or break your tippet also.
Hope you get it worked out soon !
Old 08-08-2013, 04:48 PM

trapstar92 is on a distinguished road

The first 2 were all breaks were the tippett was straight. The third took the leader and all. The last two have managed to come unhooked but I have kept my fly. I was reading online and believe that I getting too excited and not paying attention to my slack and the battle, but rather am worrying about losing the fish!