The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 12:13 AM

almonde will become famous soon enoughalmonde will become famous soon enough
Default Just got back from a trip to Utah

Last week i went to Falcon's Ledge lodge in the Uinta mountains. Spend 2 excellent days fishing for wild fish on small streams. I love wade fishing for trout in small streams, even if most of the fish are smaller, i feel more connected when wading compared to fishing from a drift boat. As usual the guides at Falcon's ledge were excellent, really knowledgeable and great company to spend time with. You really get the impression that although these guys are getting paid, that they're enjoying what they're doing.

I fished my new 3wt 7'6" Superfine touch, and the Battenkill click reel i reviewed in the reviews section here. Previously i had fished Utah with a 8'6" 5wt. The 3wt was truly perfect, i could land the fly just where it needed to be and casting all day with that little rod is truly a dream. Kudos to the Orvis Store manager who convinced me that I wouldn't be disappointed with this rod for this type of fishing.

Here's a few of the pics from the trip. Most fish were on the smaller side but still great fun on the 3wt. Nearly all fish were taken on the dry fly, some were taken on a dry dropper rig. The brown pictured below had the rod bent completely double and had line flying off the little click reel (it didn't over-run btw). The brown was taken with the last cast of the day, he came up and smacked a nice big dry fly (size 12 royal wulff, if I remember correctly, or maybe a PMX).

Click the image to open in full size.

The guide (Spencer), holds up a lovely Utah brown trout.

Me trying to get my hands around the slippery guy.

Nice Cutthroat taken on a parachute adams. The water was gin clear and slow with loads of over-hanging branches. I really had to creep into position and drop the fly accurately. It was a direct upstream presentation, but my leader was short, so i was afraid of lining the fish.

Another nice cutthroat taken on a nymph from the faster water behind me.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:34 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Just got back from a trip to Utah

Nice fish. I'm hoping to get to UT later this year. Love fishing in that state.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 08-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking fish, congrats! The new Superfine Touch sounds like the perfect rod for the small stream fishing you like to do.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:03 AM

rjw is on a distinguished road

I don't know what you were talking about small. That first fish is quite a catch, and it being on a 3 weight must have been a blast. Glad you enjoyed your time here!
yonder likes this.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful fish congrats.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:11 PM

kaleun is on a distinguished road

I've been to Falcon's Ledge (pheasant hunting at nearby Pleasant Valley) it is a lovely lodge with great food too. My wife loved it even though she did not hunt.
Next time I'll fly fish and then take out my frustrations on the pheasant,
I'll be tying pheasant tails the whole winter!
almonde likes this.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:20 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Cracking looking fish, sounds like you had a blast. Thanks for sharing
Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

My home waters. Spencer is a great guide and good friend Those are my favorite streams. I truly miss fishing the South slope streams he took you own. Amazing fishing. I miss it.
almonde and wjw like this.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:03 PM

schizz is on a distinguished road

Nice fish. Utah holds some really amazing water, far under rated and hopefully it will stay that way awhile longer.
fyshstykr and almonde like this.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:53 PM

kaleun is on a distinguished road

We just came back two weeks ago from a trip to Torrey. We fished the Fremont with Fremont River Guides. My wife got a couple of trout, one of them very nice and I got one.
Trico hatch so thick in the morning the guide ate a couple and the caddis hatch in the evening same thing, I ended up eating one too.
mcnerney and cpiercem like this.