The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 AM

mnbassfisher is on a distinguished road
Default 1st Brook Trout on the Fly

The previous two trips I've used my long rod, I've been blanked. My casting has improved quite a bit since I started but I still have some learning to do in how to read water, what fly to throw, retrieve, etc. On Saturday, I hiked up to this lake that I've been to several times in hopes to play around with some Brookies. The wind was coming out at an unfortunate angle for most of the day but it cooperated for a little bit, enough time for me to catch my first Brook Trout on a fly rod. It hit a Copper John.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st Brook Trout on the Fly

Great looking lake and even better Brookie, congrats!

Old 08-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats
Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Nice fish.

I do see some ways you can improve your casting. Check your PMs
waterfordcreek likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Brookies are as difficult to put to hand as they are to catch. Nice fish, congratulations!

Dave
Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 AM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

Nice brook Keep at it. It's a life long learning journey, I think that's part of the fun.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:25 PM

Thanks guys, it's definitely a learning process but I would agree that's half of the fun! Each outing I seem to learn or take in something new and it helps on the next outing.

Thanks for the tips Silver, those were great!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:29 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Always nice to see someone get their first one .Nice video too.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

That's a good looking fish. I really like the way you put together that video. The timing of the editing with the music really made it fun to watch. Good job.

-VB
Old 08-27-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
That's a good looking fish. I really like the way you put together that video. The timing of the editing with the music really made it fun to watch. Good job.
Thank you sir! I've put up like 50+ videos on YouTube over the years and they are progressively getting better with more exposure to editing. My editing has gotten a lot better over the years and it makes the videos a little more enjoyable to watch! Hopefully I can say the same with my flycast in a year or so!