The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 11:36 AM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Closest place to Oklahoma for some steelhead ?

Indeed you gentlemen may be correct. I appreciate you advice and opinions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-09-2013, 06:14 PM

mirabelasunshine is a jewel in the roughmirabelasunshine is a jewel in the roughmirabelasunshine is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Steelheading is very contemplative experience requiring great patience that can be done in some very beautiful places. Success is measured as time on the water, vistas viewed and friends made and perhaps you will be rewarded with a couple hookups.
Totally agree ^^. My first winter on the Mendocino coast I fished every day of February that the water wasn't completely blown out. I hooked four and landed two, but I saw many things I'll never forget. One of the finest times of my life. And when you do connect -- it's like hooking a bolt of lightning. Pretty good.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirabelasunshine View Post
Totally agree ^^. My first winter on the Mendocino coast I fished every day of February that the water wasn't completely blown out. I hooked four and landed two, but I saw many things I'll never forget. One of the finest times of my life. And when you do connect -- it's like hooking a bolt of lightning. Pretty good.
Lived in Healdsburg, CA for years and minutes to the river and the mouth of 'Dry Creek' which leads to the Hatchery. A 'no-no' to fish in the creek but you could walk along and see the fish in one/two foot deep water. As the water came out from behind a huge damn (Lake Sonoma) no chance that the creek would dry.

Was interesting to see the dam going up and the expectation it would take years to fill up the Res. behind. God had a different plan. Tropical rain over a few days and millions of gallons backed up behind the dam. Then another a couple of weeks later.

Main river (Russian) was blown out for weeks from the run off. Basicly the season was history .... drive to Oregon and fish the Chetco.
mirabelasunshine likes this.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 PM

gutterpunk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Lived in Healdsburg, CA for years and minutes to the river and the mouth of 'Dry Creek' which leads to the Hatchery. A 'no-no' to fish in the creek but you could walk along and see the fish in one/two foot deep water. As the water came out from behind a huge damn (Lake Sonoma) no chance that the creek would dry.

Was interesting to see the dam going up and the expectation it would take years to fill up the Res. behind. God had a different plan. Tropical rain over a few days and millions of gallons backed up behind the dam. Then another a couple of weeks later.

Main river (Russian) was blown out for weeks from the run off. Basicly the season was history .... drive to Oregon and fish the Chetco.
Given how much I love Healdsburg and ORegon, this post warms my heart. But as others have intimated, I misunderstood the original question. There are great places and great days for steelhead fishing. That's different than, and so much more easy than, planning a trip for steelhead catching.
bquick likes this.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
South Texas, can't teach these people anything...

Dave
ROFL! Hook 'em Horns! But no joke, if time and money aren't the major issues, I'd go west young man. I lived in Indiana for awhile and did a bit of steel head fishing there and around Grand Rapids Michigan, but the Pacific North West beats it all hollow. I'd hit Grand Rapids if its a time issue, but Oregon or Washington would be a better trip.