The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By kglissmeyer1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 05:03 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Idaho Stillwater

I finally made it back out to my favorite stillwater this past weekend. The weather cooperated and we made a day of it. My brother-in-law and I hit the water early and really pounded it early on with leeches and such - no fish for me, the BIL caught the first fish of the day, but it turned out to be his last fish of the day.

We took a break about 10:30 and I re-rigged with an indicator rig and suspended 3 nymphs under the indicator to a depth of about 9-feet. I would cast a ways out, let the flies sink and then begin a very slow hand-twist retrieve, pausing every three or four twists and giving the rod tip a few shakes before proceeding.

The fishing really turned on for me and I was in to a goodly amount of trout for the rest of the afternoon. The flies they loved were a size 12 silver beaded mayfly nymph along with a size 12 Ice Cream Cone midge pattern. I caught my largest trout from these ponds ever with a 24-inch beast that really put on a show after I hooked him. He jumped several feet out of the water for three jumps - what a sight! I finally was fortunate to land him since I was using 5X tippet. After landing the big one, I hooked another really good fish that shook the hook, and then I hooked into a real beast. This fish took off and it was everything I could do to hang on! I couldn't even slow him down and feared he would spool me. When he finally stopped the run and I was able to start retrieving line, I noticed I was to within five wraps of backing left on my spool before the end!!

I gained most of my backing back before he just wasn't there any longer - aaargh!

I ended the day with a grand total of about 20 fish with one huge fish landed and several more big ones lost. My last fish of the day was also a very large trout. As we were finning back to the launch I noticed a big head breaking the surface. Since I still had my nymph rig on I sent a cast in the direction of the fading rise form. two strips and I was hooked up. 10 head shakes later he was gone...

What a day for me. My poor BIL had been using the same flies and tactics throughout the same water and came up empty. The fishing gods were with me I guess.

Here are the pics:

Early morning view of the Tetons:
Click the image to open in full size.

Fish bait:

A nice little brookie:

...and a fat little bow:

Brother-in-law - what a beautiful place to fish:

More like a bass pond than a trout destination: foreground - water lillies; straight over the top of the lillies is a bullrush island, and to the right of that cattail islands - the water around these islands is only from six to three feet deep:

Afternoon cloud formation:

24-inches almost in the net:

Two-foot Bow:

Evening sunglow on the far hills:

Spectacular sunset to the west:

Can't wait to get back!

Kelly.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Idaho Stillwater

Kelly: Great looking trout, congrats! You guys are indeed blessed with some awesome water in SE Idaho. Did you get hit with those big storms yesterday? We got run off the water, tried to wait it out, but the water was coming down so hard we were a little concerned about rising water and getting out. Brian and I had a blast fishing the No Tellum' Spring Creek, I'll put up a post of the time over there later, I just got back home.

Larry

Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Kelly: Great looking trout, congrats! You guys are indeed blessed with some awesome water in SE Idaho. Did you get hit with those big storms yesterday? We got run off the water, tried to wait it out, but the water was coming down so hard we were a little concerned about rising water and getting out. Brian and I had a blast fishing the No Tellum' Spring Creek, I'll put up a post of the time over there later, I just got back home.

Larry
Larry, I'm glad you had fun. Sorry I missed your emails and PM as I was off for a few days, thus the trip to the ponds. I hope the spring fished well.

Kelly.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:49 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Congrats on the big trout AND all the smaller ones too! That is some beautiful water. You did a great job with the pics. I am all-around just plain envious of the day of fishing you had there!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:48 AM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

cool, great pics as well!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:23 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

That 'bow is a beast... congratulations!

Stillwater trout are new to me since moving out west... haven't landed ANYTHING like that yet.

Love the pic of the Tetons as well.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring