The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 03:20 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Re: Do you fish mice patterns?

On youtube check out "the new fly fisher Newfoundland" one of the shows they are fishing big brookies on a mouse fly during the day and wow they are hitting them hard.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 09-12-2013, 10:26 PM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough

I have not fished a mouse pattern, but you might want to check out the trailer for "Once in a Blue Moon" it's a film that was on The Fly Fishing film tour and its about fishing the pattern in New Zealand. It's a cool trailer.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlskyline View Post
I have not fished a mouse pattern, but you might want to check out the trailer for "Once in a Blue Moon" it's a film that was on The Fly Fishing film tour and its about fishing the pattern in New Zealand. It's a cool trailer.
I've watched it, many times. Amazingly beautiful.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:18 AM

long bow will become famous soon enough

DeanMT,

The above posts have pretty much got it covered so I'll just add these instead....

and

williamhj and baseman1 like this.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:09 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

We fished mouse patterns when I lived in Bozeman. There was little technique involved. A cast to the bank, a twitch, and a plop into the water. We caught a good number of browns that were waiting in cutbanks and below overhangs.Strikes could sometimes be pretty violent. Best time for us was just after dusk.
Big fast moving water will grab a deer hair mouse and as it does, you get a second chance at a strike. No indicator required ! There is no doubt there is a fish on, and you're in for a fight.
Try it, you'll like it !
dean_mt, baseman1 and ejsell like this.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:29 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the stories and info, I am definitely going to put a couple mice in my fly box. I'm thinking that autumn may be the perfect time to give this a try with the browns getting particularly aggressive.

Great video, long bow. All I can say is wow, PowerBall. have you been huntin yet?
baseman1 likes this.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:09 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I fish them for Bass, and they work great.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:59 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Do you fish mice patterns?
Here's a link to a post from a while back about big Colorado browns I used to catch in still water on the Eagle River. It was a pretty funny situation, and I still ride Doug about it ocassionally.

Generally speaking, the large browns there didn't start getting active until at least 2 hours after dark - long after the small ones had all gone to bed.

Joni posted a pic of a bomber that can be found with a search "Joni Bomber"

Finding A Big Brown Trout
dean_mt likes this.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:22 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

dean_mt and enolaeagle like this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 09-16-2013, 05:55 PM

meadballs has a spectacular aura aboutmeadballs has a spectacular aura about

Mice patterns are some of my favorite to fish. I just hope you don't mind staying up all night. Mice and hoppers are probably two of the most effective ways to get trophy browns to slam top water.