The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 06:52 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hello I have some questions?

I spent years fishing streams and small rivers for trout with all of my gear in the two breast pockets of a BDU blouse, and I had a little room left over. These days I use a 'shorty' vest that has way too many pockets, and almost all of them are empty. Funny thing is every once in a while I find (or re-find) a pocket I didn't know was there. The list of what is in my empty-pocketed vest was already been covered.
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:06 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
I spent years fishing streams and small rivers for trout with all of my gear in the two breast pockets of a BDU blouse, and I had a little room left over. These days I use a 'shorty' vest that has way too many pockets, and almost all of them are empty. Funny thing is every once in a while I find (or re-find) a pocket I didn't know was there. The list of what is in my empty-pocketed vest was already been covered.
I agree. If I really need 5 pockets, then 8 pockets is OK. 18 pockets will leave me constantly searching the unused pockets looking for stuff I didn't put in them.

I just ordered a vest, but the military clothing option works well for a lot of outdoor activities. Now if only my Supply SGT would issue me some waders
hailfly likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:14 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Listen to Fred. That's the problem with vests, one feels duty bound to fill up all the pockets. It's easy to end up with so much stuff, you spend your time fussing with things, rather than fishing.

That's not to say that I, and probably Fred, didn't use to carry a vest full of stuff. I think we all have at some point in time. So if you want to wear it for a while, it probably won't cause any permanent harm. You can always load up most of the pockets with streamside rocks and get some cardio workout benefit.
Great Call P22! Before I became a full time 'fluff chucker' I was a gear guy fishing for Steelhead up in Washington/BC. Came home exhausted (and probably without hooking a fish). One day, then wife-type, said STOP! and went and got the bathroom weigh scale and had me pull off all the **** I had on down to my 'skivvies.'

If memory serves, I 'lost' 32 pounds.

How much do you really need?

Remember having a public argument with a Marine Corp Sargent-Major-Advisor as to required field gear: My answer .... "All I need is extra water and more ammo clips." (1962-1963)

There was a Viet N long before the war became popular with our Government.