The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 10:39 AM

crestedgeckoguy is on a distinguished road
Default Hello I have some questions?

Hello I'm new to fly fishing and I just got a vest and I want to know what are some things I need to get to put in my vest for trout fishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello I have some questions?

Keep it basic.

Box of flies
Spare Leaders
Two or three tippet spools
Nippers
Hemostats
Dry fly floatant
Split shot or tungsten putty
Indicators

Dennis
pszy22, jpbfly, mridenour and 1 others like this.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 AM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Keep it basic.

Box of flies
Spare Leaders
Nippers
Hemostats
Dry fly floatant
Indicators

Dennis
That's a pretty good list for a beginner.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:58 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

That's pretty much it.

Mine has all that, plus a net, a raincoat, my license, and my camera.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:04 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

That is pretty much everything I have in my vest. Don't get "weighed down" with feeling like you have to fill the pockets. My cheap Redington vest has a ton of pockets but I have the items mentioned above and that is really everything I have needed.

Really to fly fish you don't need a whole lot of things, as long as you have spare tippet or leaders you can pretty easily change things out. Then from there the nippers just help get closer than your teeth and the hemostats allow you to get those hooks that are buried (make sure to get the kind that have flat tips for mashing down barbs). I have my iphone on me with a lifeproof case so I dont carry a separate camera.

Again, use the KISS method!
pszy22 likes this.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:16 PM

flyfishnbum is on a distinguished road

The only thing that I would add to the lists that are above is some insect repellant..
Old 09-14-2013, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Keep it basic.

Box of flies
Spare Leaders
Nippers
Hemostats
Dry fly floatant
Indicators

Dennis
Good list.....would delete indicators.....I hate that
would add kitchen roll paper to wipe your dries
Old 09-14-2013, 02:24 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Chuck the vest, you don't need one save for a multi-day trip some place.

Everything you really need can be stuck in a few shirt pockets. One box of flies and two leader spools (appropriate x-factor). People, People, People .. I see folks loaded up with 'gear' that will never see the light of day.

Why even have it on you? I see folks with stuff 'vests' full of what ever; 20 of the same pattern, same size and I have to do a 'Say what?' Even my old Yellow Lab rolls his eyes and just walks away.

Not working, fine go to a different fly or change size on the same.

There are a few 'tools' you'll need but just string them off of a cord clipped to your shirt. (Number? Four and you're good to go.)

Edit: One is a 'Police Whistle.' Just trust me on that, if you get into deep do-do you'll need it.
pszy22 and waterfordcreek like this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 09-14-2013 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Add an edit.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:15 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Good call Fred.

Always have my JetScream.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:37 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Chuck the vest, you don't need one save for a multi-day trip some place.

Everything you really need can be stuck in a few shirt pockets. One box of flies and two leader spools (appropriate x-factor). People, People, People .. I see folks loaded up with 'gear' that will never see the light of day.

Why even have it on you? I see folks with stuff 'vests' full of what ever; 20 of the same pattern, same size and I have to do a 'Say what?' Even my old Yellow Lab rolls his eyes and just walks away.

Not working, fine go to a different fly or change size on the same.

There are a few 'tools' you'll need but just string them off of a cord clipped to your shirt. (Number? Four and you're good to go.)

Edit: One is a 'Police Whistle.' Just trust me on that, if you get into deep do-do you'll need it.
Listen to Fred. That's the problem with vests, one feels duty bound to fill up all the pockets. It's easy to end up with so much stuff, you spend your time fussing with things, rather than fishing.

That's not to say that I, and probably Fred, didn't use to carry a vest full of stuff. I think we all have at some point in time. So if you want to wear it for a while, it probably won't cause any permanent harm. You can always load up most of the pockets with streamside rocks and get some cardio workout benefit.
fredaevans likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo