The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By diamond rush
  • 2 Post By pa dave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 04:38 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Beautiful Day in the NC Mountains

To celebrate my birthday, I drove way up in the mountains above the Wilson Delayed Harvest section to try to catch some wild browns. I know this particular stream holds 14-16" browns, so I was eager to chase them around.

Weather was 70 and sunny. The water was gin clear and cool for this time of year and higher than average. No obvious hatches, but plenty of midges, flies, and dragonflies were on the surface.

Click the image to open in full size.

I started off with a couple rainbows on the rise. Nice 8" fish that had no problems hitting a size 14 sulfur dry. I lost more than I caught, but managed to bring 6 to hand. 5th was my first brown:

Not exactly what I was aiming for, but every trout is a nice trout.

Last hole of the day. Saw a nice brown in the tail of the pool. She refused my nymph. Tied the sulfur back on and she refused that as well. Next cast, I gave it a little twitch right over the top of her. Beautiful swirl and a hook up. Only 11", but still a very nice trout for this stream.

The scenery was pretty nice also. I hope everyone else had a good day on the water!
Old 09-14-2013, 05:02 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Beautiful Day in the NC Mountains

I hear you Diamond...........nice fish........that is a really beautiful area, that very few people are willing to put in the effort to enjoy.........I know of one place in that area that requires a hike to get to the water, but it is worth it........ Happy Birthday!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 09-14-2013, 05:21 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Thanks! There are some amazing browns (15"+) in those mountain streams that most people don't even know exist. You gotta work your butt off for them, though.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:27 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

It's not the hike in that gets you........it's the climb back out...........right???

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 09-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Those fish are well worth the effort it takes to get in there, congrats!

Larry

Old 09-14-2013, 07:48 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

That shot of the last hole of the day is now my desktop, unless you object. Sounds like and looks like a wonderful day.
diamond rush and yonder like this.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
It's not the hike in that gets you........it's the climb back out...........right???
Yeah, I violated my cardinal rule of mountain trout fishing: Park below the stream. It was definitely worth it.