The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By random user

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 06:47 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Lump on side of trout

Sorry couldnt find this anywhere online, every time I try and google it I get stuff that is no where near what I want.

Anyways this past weekend I was out fishing a little local resevoir that is full of stocked rainbows. I caught one fish that didnt seem to put up much of a fight. When I got it into the dock I noticed that there was a lump/growth on its side. The lump was about centered about halfway inbetween its adipose and dorsal fin. Almost right on its lateral line.

I didnt get a good look the slipper thing slipped back out of my hand but it was a white lump that was about as big around as a dime and stuck out 1/4" maybe a little bit more. The fish I thought was going to die after it fell back in the water it just floated there so I got down on my belly and cradled it and moved it back and forth untill it swam away but even then it just floated down to the bottom of the water and sat there for a few minutes before rocketing off into the darkness chasing a baby bass.

I guess first off, What could the lump be?

Second: Ethically if/when someone catches a fish like this, should they keep it (pending its legal to keep)? I kept an eye out for a floating fish but never saw one the few hours I was there, and it did seem pretty energetic when it chased the baby bass.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:22 AM

gregnash will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lump on side of trout

If you know that the fish was a planted fish you may want to call your local Department of Wildlift or whomever does the stocking and question them on it. Bet they will tell you to remove the fish and bring it to them.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Flyfisher,

Let's presume that this fish was one of many who were recently introduced and was reared in a hatchery. Fish, like people, can and do develop various diseases and those fish who are grown in the crowded and often dirty conditions of a hatchery have a much higher risk of this.

What you describe sounds like a skin lesion which has developed into a sort of cyst or tumor over time. It could have began as a small wound or may have been just a skin lesion. Unless I began to see many trout with examples of this same type affliction I wouldn't panic.

As for deciding when the fish should die........ that would be a judgment to be made by you. If it were obviously suffering then killing it would seem appropriate. However, keeping it would not be an option for me.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-27-2013, 12:34 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I caught a stocked tiger trout that had a weird lump in it like that too - just below the lateral line and pretty much down from the middle of the dorsal fin. Put my thumb into its mouth and bent the head back until it's neck snapped.

Stream side autopsy revealed a white worm/grub/larva with pronounce, concentric, section down the length of it's body. The white parasite was maybe 3/16" in diameter and 1/2" - 3/4" long and buried in the flesh.

Have only seen one in my life and never did find out what it was nor do much more than ask a few people I knew. It was very sililar to the 'grubs' which I have found in yellow perch in the summer.
Hardyreels and flyfisher117 like this.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
I caught a stocked tiger trout that had a weird lump in it like that too - just below the lateral line and pretty much down from the middle of the dorsal fin. Put my thumb into its mouth and bent the head back until it's neck snapped.

Stream side autopsy revealed a white worm/grub/larva with pronounce, concentric, section down the length of it's body. The white parasite was maybe 3/16" in diameter and 1/2" - 3/4" long and buried in the flesh.

Have only seen one in my life and never did find out what it was nor do much more than ask a few people I knew. It was very sililar to the 'grubs' which I have found in yellow perch in the summer.
I hadn't considered that possibility, good post!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-06-2013, 11:01 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

So I went back Friday, the fish in this reservoir are just unhealthy. I caught close to 15 trout within a couple hours and about 5 of them had fin rot. Most of them were missing at least one fin all that was left were three black looking little boney spines. A few were missing one whole fin and half of another.

Not sure If I will be going back, the bass are fun and its nice that they are so close to home but the trout are just nasty to catch.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 AM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Is the reservoir used for a water source or is it a major holding area for some type of waste water? I wouldn't fish it with fish like that there.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:19 PM

Im not sure what its for, its not big, maybe 5 acres. There is a dam but this time of year the water is well below it. Its not a waste water one either. It has a little park and campground and also has a house where an attendant lives and watches over the place.
I think it was either A: Built as a little recreation spot since there isnt anything like it near town here without traveling 80 miles. B: it might have been made originally to hold run off water just incase of forest fire, then Heli's could dip into it.

I am not sure but the water is murky and dirty and the fish just dont seem healthy, cant believe people eat the fish they catch. Maybe I am spoiled though. Generally I am a river fly fisherman and IMHO nothing beats a nice little mountain river with trout. Beautiful fish. I just started going to this place because its close to town and its the closest fishing without driving 80 miles.

EDIT: Here is the stocking report, I really hope someone just added a few extra zeroes that seems like a lot if fish. Even if they are triploids.
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/...ataDisplay.cfm

I still cant find its size but it is small.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:18 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

What part of the state is it ? I am wondering if F&G stocked it or someone has has just been dropping some trout in a relatively warm bass pond.
It sounds as bad as keeping dogs penned in a filthy enclosure. Trout usually flourish in beautiful places, with cold clear water.
Until just now, I had never thought about fish in the same way as animals being treated cruely. But maybe it's time for you to talk to your local F & G officer. The upshoot of that could benefit you as well, with improved local fishing opportunities and some quality water for trout.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:03 PM

Spring Valley is 17 miles east of Moscow, which if you dont know is inbetween Lewiston and CDA.

According to Fish and game they are stocking thousands of 6" + "triploid" fish. So Technically they are sterile fish (may be a few that can reproduce but they are supposed to be able to) but that still seems like a lot of fish to live in the water. Specially with the bass, and supposed cats, crappies, and sun fishes that live there.
I also found on Google that it is a bird watching park and I did see 2 birds of prey catch 2 fish but I cant believe that the birds and humans are catching enough fish to keep the population stable. I am having no issues catching fish there I even had trout trying to take my big bass jerk baits. There seems to be very little to no vegetation on the eastern side (havent been anywhere else).

I am going to try and at least talk to a Fish and Game officer, maybe they can explain.