The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jbird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 07:33 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough
Default The Ideal Tail-Water Nymph Rig

At this point in my fly fishing adventures while in Colorado I tend to go towards my 9' 5WT Wright and McGill Boron paired with my Lamson Guru strung with weight forward Scientific Angler Textured GPX line. The reason for this thread is I have read many of Colorado specific articles stating that a properly set-up 4WT can handle large fish and have more reflex in the tip while offering more accuracy especially when running double nymph rigs than a 5WT. These articles have me thinking of switching stuff up.

- Brand?
- Length?
- Weight?
- Reel?
- Line?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:44 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Ideal Tail-Water Nymph Rig

Winston b3x,9ft,5wt,lamson guru,rio lines.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:21 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

I think thats kinda splitting hairs. 4wt- 5wt. tomatoe- tomahtoe. If you ever throw big streamers Kelly Galloup style, you'll probly want the 5. I cant think of any reason to go from a 5 to a 4 if you already have the 5.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:30 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Aren't some 4WTs closer to a 5WT specs in reality, and vice versa? Sounds you better choose equipment carefully unless you have money you just don't need.