The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 07:57 PM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough
Default Salmon river NY and switch rods ?

I will be going for steelhead in Nov. and probably 2 more times winter/spring. I am looking to make this one of the regular trips. I have a 8 wt. 9' T&T I was going to use. I am told a 10 ft. 7 wt. is the rod ( I know where I can get a used one now Ovis at a good price) Is 1 ft and 1 line weight going to make that much of a difference? Also I read about switch here, what about going that route? The Beulah outfit will probably run 800 bucks all is said and done ? Also on my last post I went with a 2 wt.from Elkhorn and was very pleased !!! excellent rod and reel and a great price.

Thanks all for the help
Old 09-26-2013, 05:32 PM

badfish creek will become famous soon enoughbadfish creek will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Salmon river NY and switch rods ?

The 9' is where it will hurt you. You can fish just fine with it and I have done like you a couple of years ago with a 9' 8wt. and caught fish. Last year I used my buddies 10'6" 8wt and could not believe the difference. I also used his TFO Deer Creek Switch and that convinced me to build my first rod...a 10' 8" Batson switch rod. The fighting butt/aft grip will help so much with fighting scrappy Steel on the Salmon River(I was born and raised there)
Old 09-26-2013, 06:41 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salmon river NY and switch rods ?

For years, I fished a 9 footer on Lake Erie's tribs for Steelhead, then I switched to a 10 foot rod. It is a noticeable change with the advantage of long line mending and keeping line off of the water. I now use that rod and have introduced a switch rod into the rotation. I very much enjoy the switch for change of pace, it too has another foot on my 7wt, which is distinctly advantageous.

I don't know quite as much about the SR as I do other areas but I wouldn't want to tangle with kings with a single hand 7wt. I'd think an 8 or 9 would be more ideal if you're chasing those. You mentioned that you've got an 8 so I'd use that for kings if you're fishing for them and a backup or alternative for steel.

Remember, with a switch/spey you'll need a larger reel to hold the backing and line so factor that into your purchase. Lots of great options, there are closeouts form Orvis, Sage, Winston, and probably a few others. Reddington came out with the Dually, which is a rod priced around $250 that may be worth a look. You'll get a lot of rod with Beulah for the price.
Hardyreels likes this.