The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Business Member

flyfishusa is on a distinguished road
Default Game of Chromes

Winter is coming & you need to be ready for it! Simms Guide Jacket is what most of us here at The Fly Fishing Shop wear as our outer shell all winter long. What do you folks do to combat the cold where you're at?

Click the image to open in full size.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:11 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Game of Chromes

I love my Cabelas Goretex wading jacket. I think Ive had it for 10 years and I suspect I'll have it for 10 more

mridenour and flyfishusa like this.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:47 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I use an old windriver shell from a 3 in 1 jacket but all of my fishing in the winter is done from my couch on the xbox.
flyfishusa likes this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 09-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This is a good topic and I'm sure there will be quite a variety reflected in the replies. I'm old school and it took a very long time for me to come around to using modern technology for cold and wet fishing conditions. I still can be found sporting vintage Lewis Creek wax cotton or my trusty Filson wax jacket but I do own a Simms also.

I like wax jackets and have been wearing them since 1980 when I bought a Hoggs of Fife as my first. They are warm and unless the conditions are extreme or you are camping, they are just fine. The Simms G-3 that I have has been a very consistent piece of gear as far as keeping me dry. My 2 favorite features are the large hood with a good stiff brim to extend over a cap, and the neoprene cuff cinching strap design. I can reach right into the river without getting a wet sleeve inside the jacket.

For good looks in moderate conditions I wear Filson. When I drive an open hulled river boat 70 miles through driving rain at 44* & 35 miles an hour, I wear the Simms.

Ard
baseman1, mridenour and flyfishusa like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Business Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
This is a good topic and I'm sure there will be quite a variety reflected in the replies. I'm old school and it took a very long time for me to come around to using modern technology for cold and wet fishing conditions. I still can be found sporting vintage Lewis Creek wax cotton or my trusty Filson wax jacket but I do own a Simms also.

I like wax jackets and have been wearing them since 1980 when I bought a Hoggs of Fife as my first. They are warm and unless the conditions are extreme or you are camping, they are just fine. The Simms G-3 that I have has been a very consistent piece of gear as far as keeping me dry. My 2 favorite features are the large hood with a good stiff brim to extend over a cap, and the neoprene cuff cinching strap design. I can reach right into the river without getting a wet sleeve inside the jacket.

For good looks in moderate conditions I wear Filson. When I drive an open hulled river boat 70 miles through driving rain at 44* & 35 miles an hour, I wear the Simms.

Ard
I understand the Wax Jackets myself, used them for many years, with the extreme conditions here in the winter fishing the Sandy River, I'm glad Simms has my back. One of my favorite features is the hand warmer pockets. G. Loomis is making the new Max Jacket and it has been tested and proven for at least one winter. Me personally though, I love my Simms
Old 09-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Of all the 'company standing behind a product' stories I can tell there is one at the top of the list.

I bought a Filson Fishing Jacket back in the 1990's when I had sent my Lewis Creek jacket back for repairs and refurbishing. When the Lewis jacket came back I seldom wore it because the Filson was warmer. Well, by 2011 the old Filson was in pretty rough shape and I boxed it up and sent it to Seattle for some work. I had been waterproofing but by 2011 things were a little beyond a rub down with some wax. I needed patching and some new draw strings at the waist as well as the waist hem repaired / replaced. When I mailed it back I had enclosed a letter describing how much I liked the coat and what I wanted done to it.

One day I received a phone call from Filson about my jacket. The lady on the phone told me that "if it would be alright with me, Filson would like me to have a new jacket instead of my old one being fixed up" Wow, it took a while for me to get that she was offering to send me / replace my 20 year old jacket at NO COST TO ME!! I accepted and she sent the jacket. I wear the Filson a lot but currently it is hanging on the coat rack at the cabin and I may not get back there before things freeze up for the winter................

I believe I hade worn that jacket for 16 years and they replaced it!

Wow

Here's a few shots of the new Filson in action

Something about the old time look of the cotton jackets I just like.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 AM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

This is a perfect thread for me as winter has suddenly shown up for us and I am in need of a wading jacket real quick here.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Business Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
This is a perfect thread for me as winter has suddenly shown up for us and I am in need of a wading jacket real quick here.
Here is a great article on how to dress like a Veteran Steelheader! We know what it means to stay comfortable in the winter because we fish no matter what the weather is like, because we love it!!!

Last edited by flyfishusa; 09-27-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:42 AM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishusa View Post
Here is a great article on how to dress like a Veteran Steelheader! We know what it means to stay comfortable in the winter because we fish no matter what the weather is like, because we love it!!!
I'm not seein the article!
Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Of all the 'company standing behind a product' stories I can tell there is one at the top of the list.

I bought a Filson Fishing Jacket back in the 1990's when I had sent my Lewis Creek jacket back for repairs and refurbishing. When the Lewis jacket came back I seldom wore it because the Filson was warmer. Well, by 2011 the old Filson was in pretty rough shape and I boxed it up and sent it to Seattle for some work. I had been waterproofing but by 2011 things were a little beyond a rub down with some wax. I needed patching and some new draw strings at the waist as well as the waist hem repaired / replaced. When I mailed it back I had enclosed a letter describing how much I liked the coat and what I wanted done to it.

One day I received a phone call from Filson about my jacket. The lady on the phone told me that "if it would be alright with me, Filson would like me to have a new jacket instead of my old one being fixed up" Wow, it took a while for me to get that she was offering to send me / replace my 20 year old jacket at NO COST TO ME!! I accepted and she sent the jacket. I wear the Filson a lot but currently it is hanging on the coat rack at the cabin and I may not get back there before things freeze up for the winter................

I believe I hade worn that jacket for 16 years and they replaced it!

Wow

Here's a few shots of the new Filson in action

Something about the old time look of the cotton jackets I just like.
The Chevy hat completes the ensemble quite nicely