The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By sandfly
  • 1 Post By sandfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 01:41 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough
Default Salmon Setup

Hey guys,

First off I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Mike I'm from PA and am brand new to fly fishing my boss and some friends have been trying to get me into if for a while so I finally took the jump!

I bought my first fly fishing setup a few weeks ago. Went to my local Orvis dealer and told him I wanted a decent all around setup that I could use for Bass (small & large), Steelhead, & Salmon. He suggested an 8wt 10ft Clearwater rod & Clearwater LA IV reel w/ Hydros WF 8wt line.

I've used it in my local river for smallmouth bass and so far it has been great...well as great as any outfit with somebody who has no clue what they are doing using it! lol

I am going to Salmon River in Pulaski on Tuesday for a 6 day salmon fishing trip. One friend told me to forget using a fly fishing leader as I will go through a ton of cash. I was told to attach a 4 ft section of 14lbs test fluoro line to my fly line. Then attach a swivel with another 4ft section of 12 lbs test fluoro as my tippet. Place 3 large split shots on the leader right above the swivel. Also, was told to run an egg sucking leech as the fly with a foot and a half section of 12 lbs test fluoro from the hook to a salmon egg fly.

Just curious how you guys feel about this setup. If you like some parts and not others I'd love to hear your opinions. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also, being new to fly fishing I was also told to take a heavy weight spinning rod with a similar setup.

Thanks
Mike
Old 09-27-2013, 02:04 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Salmon Setup

•Hooks attached to any lure, except an artificial fly must be free-swinging.
•Hooks may have a gap (distance between the shank and the point) of no more than one half inch except for floating lure bead chain configurations on the Salmon River as permitted below.
•Use of hooks with added weight is prohibited, except that artificial flies with no more than one-eighth ounce of added weight may be used. For the purposes of this regulation, the method by which weight is added to a hook does not affect classification as an "artificial fly" provided the conditions of the definition of an "artificial fly" are otherwise met.
•Only one hook with a single hook point is permitted, except that floating lures may have multiple hooks including double and treble hooks only as permitted below or in Lake Erie tributaries where multiple hook points are permitted.

Leaders and Weights
•The distance between the hook, artificial fly or lure and any weight attached to the line or leader, whether fixed or sliding, shall not exceed four feet.
•In addition, when the above special tributary regulations are in effect for Lake Ontario tributaries in Oswego and Cayuga Counties, and the Genesee River (Monroe County) from the Driving Park Bridge upstream to the Lower Falls: weight shall not be added to the line, leader, swivels, artificial fly or lure in any manner such that the weight hangs lower than the attached hook, artificial fly or lure when the line or leader is suspended vertically from the rod.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Restrictions on fly lines, flies, attractors, leaders and supplemental weight:

Fly Lines

Use of less than 20 feet of floating, sinking, or combination floating/sinking fly line or shooting head immediately behind the leader
and in front of any running line or other backing is prohibited.

Between May 1 and August 31: Floating Fly Lines Only.

•Between September 1 and April 30: Floating, Sinking, and Sinktip fly lines are permitted.

Flies

Between May 1 and August 31: a single unweighted artificial fly having one hook point with a one-half inch maximum gap only permitted.

•Between September 1 and April 30: a single unweighted or weighted artificial fly with no more than 1/8 oz. added weight, having one hook point with a one-half-inch maximum gap only permitted.

Attractors

The use of added baits or attractors such as, but not limited to, fish eggs, insects, beads, spoons, spinners, plugs, or similar devices on the line above the artificial fly is prohibited.

Leaders

The total length of the leader including the tippet shall not exceed 15 feet.

Between May 1 and August 31: sinking and metal leaders are prohibited.

Additional Weight

Between May 1 and August 31: the use of supplemental weight such as split shot, sinkers, metal leaders, twistons, or swivels attached to the leader, tippet, fly line or fly is prohibited.

Between September 1 and April 30: the use of supplemental weight is permitted with the following restrictions.
- The combined weight of any supplemental weight and fly may not exceed one-eighth of an ounce.
- The maximum distance between the artificial fly and any added weight to the line, leader or tippet shall not exceed four feet.
- Weight added to the line, leader, swivels, or artificial fly in any manner such that the weight hangs lower than the attached fly is prohibited.

Note: the Daily Limit for Rainbow Trout or Steelhead Is One Fish per Day for All Lake Ontario Tributaries Except Lower Niagara River.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 09-27-2013, 02:07 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Looks like that takes out the trailing egg idea. Thanks for the info very helpful!!!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:13 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

make sure everything is spot on with your leaders, the fines up there are tremendous, and if you don't have the $$$$ its sit in jail.
fredaevans likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 09-27-2013, 02:22 PM

Really appreciate it! Is the 4 ft of 14 lbs test attached to the fly line w/ a swivel attaching a 4 ft section of 12 lbs test a good setup? the split shots will be right at the swivel so they will be 4 feet from the fly.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I fished the salmon there using the leader described in this thread; scroll to the bottom to find leader specs. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html

I used a 5' butt of 25 lb Maxima - a 36" braided head looped to the butt and 3 foot of 15 pound tippet looped to the front of the head. I caught a lot of salmon with this set up.

You have to find fish that aren't in 6' of fast water but they can be found. I took most of mine from 3 - 4' of moderate flow and fished from the DSR to the bridge at Altmar. Fish were caught on everything from a Hot Orange hairwing to Silver Doctors and everything in between, even Whitlock Sculpin patterns.

Good Luck,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-27-2013, 03:43 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I use a similar setup to Ards with no swivel necessary . And 4 ft of water is a good depth and if you get your swing in line you shouldn't need any additional weight. Going back up Monday and have been catching fish consistently with no weight and just about any streamer I put on! The waters at 335cfs right now which is a trickle why use weight!

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Try below the DSR.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser