The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 04:56 PM

mjmurphy45 is on a distinguished road
Default Clear Intermediate Sinking Lines

I began using a stealthy line with streamers a couple of years ago, Cortland 444 Classic Intermediate Clear Fly Line WF6, being the first I tried. This was very clear and supple and fished beautifully, but I managed to step on it last season and mash it pretty good. So I decided to replace it. I went with Orvis Access Clear Intermediate Fly Line WF 6 CLEAR this time. I picked this up from Cabelas but it was shipped direct from the factory. Imagine my surprise when I got this stuff. It was a completely different animal. First of all it was blue instead of clear. Secondly it handled like Tygon tubing streamside. I never did get it to relax enough to not look like a slinky. OK so that was a bust. Anyway, nobody in customer service wanted to discuss beyond - send it back to Cabelas. Let's talk.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:08 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Clear Intermediate Sinking Lines

I actually have a really nice clear intermediate line (SA streamer stuff) and I never use it. I'm not a big fan of clear lines -- they're too hard for me to see and I think the "stealth" is overrated. I'd rather adjust my cast to keep from spooking the fish....or lengthen my leader.

I just like a regular intermediate if I need one -- just my $0.02. I may be wrong -- it wouldn't be the first time.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have been using Cortland Clear Camo for many, many years. A little memory, but manageable. Orvis Clear was a leftover telephone cord I swear...curly!
Old 09-29-2013, 05:28 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I have been using Cortland Clear Camo for many, many years. A little memory, but manageable.
me too...trout seem to like it
Joni likes this.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:06 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Orvis Clear was a leftover telephone cord I swear...curly!
Yeah, you really need to stretch it out once in a while. Mine was somewhat better after pulling on it on a warm day.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:11 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

The Orvis clear intermediate is/was pure cr@p. Next worse was Wulff clear intermediate. Cortland CC has been on my reels for over 10 years (replaced it once- got caught in a prop). Once in a while when it's really cold I do have to strech it out, but not like the Wulff or Orvis. With those two, it was a every tem minutes ritual.
AirFlo has what they're calling Sixth Sense Slow Glass and Fast Glass and 6th intermediates. One sinks @ about 1/2" sec. Not sure if they're clear or not.
I can't quite remember. Have to get it out of the UK. They know stillwater fishing for sure.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:38 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have been using a Rio Aqualux Clear Camo line for three years. Like the Cortland Clear Camo, it tangles, but it is manageable, too. This line has been discontinued for the newer InTouch Clear Camo.

When my Rio line wears out, I'll probably go back to the Cortland.

Dennis