The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 02:37 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time using a furled leader and have a question

You'll love Furled Leaders as long as they have a 'ring' at the end to tie on your bit of leader of choice. Repeating myself here but I even use them on my lighter weight 2handers. Things lay out as straight as a "yard stick" when you cast same if properly matched to the rod.

And that's the deal, these things are built for a one/two range of fly rods weights and you have to buy same as such. One size does NOT fit all! But what the heck, six bucks?

fae
pszy22 and mridenour like this.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:51 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Go to Hargrove, he has a loop welder in the shop now
Too late for that Geoff. I am already in Michigan waiting for the lightning to stop...lol! I'm going to nail on a little shock leader with a loop out of the amnesia this time around.

---------- Post added at 05:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
You'll love Furled Leaders as long as they have a 'ring' at the end to tie on your bit of leader of choice. Repeating myself here but I even use them on my lighter weight 2handers. Things lay out as straight as a "yard stick" when you cast same if properly matched to the rod.

And that's the deal, these things are built for a one/two range of fly rods weights and you have to buy same as such. One size does NOT fit all! But what the heck, six bucks?

fae
I'm pretty confident I have the right one. I contacted Mike at Cutthroat and told him what my rig was and what and where I am fishing and he sent me the leader. I hope I like them as much as you like them. Maybe I will know in a couple hours if the lightning stops with the stupidity here.
pszy22 likes this.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:25 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I've been fishing furled leaders for a long, long time, and like them alot.

That said, you may want to try just a single strand regular type leader if you are targeting salmon. That's the nice thing about having a loop at the end of your line, you can easily try both and see which you prefer.

If you already have a spool of amnesia, you can go with that for a butt, then add a couple lengths of mono, and you are all set.

Salmon fishing can be tough on leaders, so have a back up leader or two just in case.

I will add, if you find that you don't particularly like a furled leader for salmon applications, be sure to try one for species like trout, they really excel.
mridenour likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 PM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

I have to say that I really liked the furled leader. It was flexible but not prone to getting knotted up when I made one of my patented "everything tangle with everything else" kind of casts. The leader I got was from Cutthroat Leaders and when I got it out of the package I was really impressed at the construction of it. It proved to be extremely tough because I had several big fish take me straight into huge messes of trees and debris and after the trip there wasn't a single sign of fraying or damage. I would definitely use one again. I am anxious to try one for trout. I'll be going on a trout trip soon and trying one there. I think fishing for trout after a salmon trip is going to be kind of weird though.

Thanks for all the good advice. I made a loop from Amnesia nailed to my fly line. That worked great.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:36 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Had a chance to cast the new leader yet?
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:48 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Read the post above you
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Fred,
Yep. I really enjoyed casting heavy flies and double-fly rigs with this set-up. Not much tangling even though I am prone to do so. I'm looking forward to trying some other ones with a trout set-up in a couple weeks.

Mike
Old 10-09-2013, 02:38 PM

Thanks Mike. Odd off as it may sound there's really very little in the way of 'trout fishing' here in the Medford, OR area. Some stocked ponds (Demon/Modoc and a small one at the County Fair Grounds ... of all places) and a couple of very large lakes up in the Cascades above us. You need a boat save for the odd off.

Actually not 'natural lakes' but huge irrigation impoundments for the farmers or to keep Emmigrent Lake supplied with water over the summer, feeds into Bear Creek, which feeds into the Rogue River. Bear Creek is a major fish spawing area and without the flow it would dry up in the summer. Cool thing as the stream flows right through Ashland to Medford, etc.

King Salmon spawning in the middle of the largest city in the southern half of Oregon. Walking trail (paved) started a few feet from my home when I lived in Ashland. Things got to be at least 20 miles long from top to bottom. About a half mile from the start and you were up against Bear Creek for the rest of that 'hike/bike ride.'

One Auto Dealship (where I get my servicing done) boarders Bear Creek and they built a viewing stand so customer's could look down at the water. You may 'cringe' when you pay the bill, but at least you weren't reading some two year old magazine.

fae
pszy22 and mridenour like this.