The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 07:48 PM

jbennett is on a distinguished road
Default Dry Run Creek

Never been to dry run creek but had a guide take my daughter today for a little while before we hit the Norfork. You have to be under 16 to fish and everything has to go back immediately but it is insane. I've never seen anything like it. Its a small 1/4 mile stretch off the Norfork that back up to the hatchery and all the stinky water from the hatchery draws a ton of big fish up into it. You can see them stacked up in the current just dozens of big fish waiting for something to come down stream. She was pulling them out one after another this rainbow was literally in the first 30 seconds and this brown while not huge was her first brown. I could have watched her fish all day but these big ones wore her out and she said her hands hurt. I think she really felt bad I couldn't fish so after 45 minutes or so we packed up and headed out so I could catch some. I was taking the pics so the guy is oyr guide Jamie Rouse. He's the man for Arkansas rivers. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:20 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dry Run Creek

I have not heard of that kid run, have to take my 13yr old daughter up there...Thanks for sharing.

Nothing in this world can compare to seeing your child smile like that.

Dave
Old 10-06-2013, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Your daughter is a champCongrats!
Old 10-06-2013, 02:49 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

That is so far beyond cool there are not words for it. Props to the state for providing a Kiddie creek like that, and to you for taking your little girl there and infecting her with our disease. Seriously, that is nine kinds of awesome. I love seeing posts like this. After all the **** I read in the paper everyday, it makes me proud to be a human again. Great job dad!.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:54 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

It's good to see where there are places specifically for The under 16s & they are virtually guaranteed of catching Fish.
Brian
Old 10-06-2013, 10:31 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Tell her congratulations. She did great!

And a +1 in the dad department too!
Old 10-06-2013, 02:20 PM

doneinne is on a distinguished road

She's about the same age as my daughter when I took her there for the first time. It is a really awesome place. She would just hold on with both hands. Her fly rod would be parallel to the water with the big trout. She had a really big rainbow on below the falls. Probably 28-30". Needless to say it didn't get landed, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2013, 03:58 PM

As an aside to this the hatchery right there I guess is shut down tight with the government shutdown. No one taking care of the fish I guess. I asked the guide and he heard if they didn't resolve this soon the plan was to release everything before they died. If you've ever seen the breeding stock in a hatchery there are done monsters. I guess they will all get dumped in the White and or Norfork river. Should make for some good fishing if that happens.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:31 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbennett View Post
As an aside to this the hatchery right there I guess is shut down tight with the government shutdown. No one taking care of the fish I guess. I asked the guide and he heard if they didn't resolve this soon the plan was to release everything before they died. If you've ever seen the breeding stock in a hatchery there are done monsters. I guess they will all get dumped in the White and or Norfork river. Should make for some good fishing if that happens.
Glad you & your daughter had a great time on Dry Run creek! That is a great place to get kids into fly fishing. Not sure if you know or not, but there is another place just like that for kids on the Little Red River as well. Its called Collins Creek. It starts just before the front of JFK park and empties in the LR at the back of he park. There are LOTS of big bows & browns in there.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:07 PM

I've heard about that too. We will try that next time we go to the little red for sure. Now I want a cabin over there somewhere. Norfork and Heber are both about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Memphis. Close enough where I think I could get good use from a small house or cabin.