The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Location: Pointe Aux Anglais, Québec North Shore Region (CANADA)
JOCELIN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JOCELIN
Default River lake trout fishing in Quebec

One of my favorite fish species after Brook trout is certainly River LAKE TROUT fishing. Yes lake trout fishing in a river. it's true this species is practicaly only known for being fished in lakes or reservoir with lead lines or even trolling with downriggers. But here in Quebec some rivers hold some great lake trout fishing right next to pike brook trout and whitefish all in the same pools. These lake trout are reel screaming runners and will pull so much line you will have to be very carefull whn playing those brutes.

Click the image to open in full size.

To reach those river lake trouts its a short ride upriver, of about 10 miles all the way upriver to the 2 miles rapid pool. It’s a pretty nice ride upriver in the wide Outardes River until you notice the river getting narrower, and then suddenly rising up 150 ft toward the sky a huge sand filled bank a remnant of the last ice age. The shoreline is covered in young small Jack pine all of them the same size that are remnents of the last forest fire that ravages the area every 10 to 15 years. We Zig Zag in the narrow channel of the river until this wide opening with two small cold streams enter the river the area is called Two Spring brook pool. We dock the boat next to an old 12000 to 15000 Year old Native Portage trail.

We Zig Zag in the narrow channel of the river until this wide opening with two small cold streams enter the river the area is called Two Spring brook pool. We dock the boat next to an old 15000 Year old Native Portage trail. I shout to Lucas tie up the boat to that old black spruce. I will get my rod ready this is a great spot for some serious fishing. I chose my powerful right angle anti reverse reel with intermediate sink line matched up with a Gatti FR 107 (#7 10 ft). MY choice of flies is a long Magog smelt tied tandem. My brother chooses a STH turbine reel and a Loomis GLX #8 9 ft with a slow sink line and a huge Blue Gorges fly.

I point out to the fish I see holding about 2 ft behind a big rock, my brother shoots his line upriver above the rock and make the fly swim right in front of the fish nose without even making the fish twitch. I tell Lucas to make is fly stripped the closest to the rock as possible make the fly run past the trout. Like a fine tuned predator the trout turns around and grabs the fly firmly and voila you got him keep your tip up he is big. I can see my brother is getting worried because the reel is getting empty. Tight up that disc drag I tell him it will slow down the fish a lot faster and give it some side pressure. Finally the fish slows down and he reels it in slowly then out of nowhere he bolts again upriver this time. My brother runs with him to catch up the fish finally stops in the next pool upriver called the big rock pool. I yell to Lucas to send him my way I have the cradle ready and the fish seems pretty big.

I check my watch its been 15 minutes I yell to Lucas he responds “ I know my forearm is hurting “ He’s almost here show him the way over here I will cradle the laker. But he had another idea when he saw me he jetted down river again to the Two Spring brook pool.

My brother run's again with the fish and positioned himself on the steep point that extends in the pool and tries to bring the fish in the calm bay where I can finally cradle the big fellow.

He weights in at around 18 pounds a nice river lake trout indeed.This is and excellent spot for large Northern pike and Lake trout that are here for the rendezvous with the black and red dace that make their spawning run.

Jocelin
Old 02-13-2008, 03:03 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: River lake trout fishing in Quebec

I would enjoy fishing for those too!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:10 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Any angler that can hold a pole in his mouth and look cool doing it to get a better grip on a trout is a heck of an angler. Nice fish my friend.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 02-22-2008, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice fish! Looks like Beautiful country also.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 02-22-2008, 08:36 AM

TheFlyMaster will become famous soon enoughTheFlyMaster will become famous soon enough

Very nice pics JOCELIN. Catching lake trout on the fly is a hoot. Fortunately I live next to the biggest fresh water lake in the world with has some Lake Trout. We catch them out in the big pond, can't imagine catching them in the river to boot, now that's gotta be fun! and look at the size of those fish! Those are really nice fish guys! Great job fellas!

Here are some pics of some buddies that went out last year on Lake Superior.
arrowheadflyangler.blogspot.com
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Old 02-22-2008, 06:10 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Wow - looks like fun! Great pictures everyone, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-23-2008, 03:31 PM

THEFLYMASTER

ITs quite a blast those lakers on the fly

But add those brutes in a fast flowing river and you better hold on. My 8 Weight gets a worlkout

NICE PICTURES

Joe
Old 02-23-2008, 10:00 PM

todd r is on a distinguished road

WOW!!!!! Now the next time my wife ask me where I want to go on vacation I'll have an answer.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:56 PM

coolkyle is on a distinguished road

Thanks for advertising here Jocelin!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:14 PM

The Fly MAster

How were you getting those lakers in the lake

What were you using for fly lines and also were you striping streamers or still water fishing

Jocelin