The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Business Member

flyfishusa is on a distinguished road
Default Steelhead Flies?

What are your favorite Steelhead Flies? My personal favorite is the Lady Gaga by Travis Johnson.
Click the image to open in full size.

The Fly Fishing Shop
Welches, OR
800-266-3971
www.flyfishusa.com
Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Steelhead Flies?

I don't have a favorite yet so I will be making a list from the favorites getting posted on here. Hopefully I will land a big Steelhead soon and declare my favorite fly.
flyfishusa likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Business Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I don't have a favorite yet so I will be making a list from the favorites getting posted on here. Hopefully I will land a big Steelhead soon and declare my favorite fly.
Here are some of the biggest names in Steelhead Fly Fishing Guide's favorite steelhead flies Including Mark Bachmann, George Cook, Brian Silvey, and Mike Kinney.

You can add these to your list
mridenour and gzarboni like this.

The Fly Fishing Shop
Welches, OR
800-266-3971
www.flyfishusa.com
Old 10-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've thrown everything at them over the years but for wild fish in good water conditions this has been the best producer.

It's small and dark so it is not always the best choice but when conditions allow for it, they work really well for me. Now I'm tying flies similar to what you show in the picture. These larger Intruder style flies are very effective also, that's why I've started with them.

Ard

Here are a couple sea run that fell for the little black fly.

The fish on the shelf ice was not left there for long. I had to get him up out of the water to get my fly back. Thrashing around wasn't working out so I got him up - snapped the shot and snatched my fly.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-15-2013, 11:08 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Mike Kinney's Dragon Tooth
flyfishusa likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-15-2013, 11:10 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Wow. I hope Im not offending anyone here but... Lady Gaga??? We're connecting her to this sport? Really? I think thats the last name I'd want to hear on a steelhead river.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:11 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Odd off as it may seem my 'go too's' are actually Atlantic Salmon patterns done on Silver or Gold Salar double hooks: "Cascade," "Allie's Shrimp" and "Flamethrower." Keep the 'tails' short, Steelhead are 'short strikers' more often than not.

Easy call for a 'US' pattern: Wolly Bugger. Fish them wet, fish them as a dry and they just take fish.

Fred
cochise, gzarboni and flyfishusa like this.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:09 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I mostly swing flies with my two hander. My favorite and most productive summer fly is a Green Butt Silver Hilton. My favorite and most productive winter fly is a black with red head articulated leech.

There are times that I will use a single hander and nymphs. Whatever is working for the local trout will be working for the steel. On my local river, I will use various Bird's Nest type caddis and Rubberlegs type stoneflies.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:13 PM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all

There was a time when I thought that if you saw what flies steelheaders actually fished annually, rather than all of the ones they carried or tied out of boredom or desperation, you could tell a lot about their early influences, successes & where they fished most often including the methods they commonly employ. With the introduction of other styles of gear to the American steelhead landscape, those snapshots into ones fishing persona are somewhat obscured now

Iím primarily a swinger of shooting heads and sink tips in Northern Ca and while there are a couple of nymphs in my assortment ( and no egg patterns - by choice. ). They cover the flows, temps, water clarity and depths as our steelhead season unfolds. My assortment largely reflects where Iím from, " my patina " and how I fish.

I think this is true more so of steelhead anglers than of trout anglers as a whole.
While you can find GRHEís, P.T.ís, Woolly Buggers and EHCís in most any U.S. trout anglers arsenal, itís less common to find SH anglers throughout the world who regularly fish with comets, bossí, burlaps, brindle bugs and Hilton variations.
The fly thatís glaringly missing from my personal assortment of go to flies for the waters I fish, ( One of the non-native patterns I like to carry. ), the McLoed Ugly. Which is a fly I have great confidence in. Iím simply out of them at the moment.

All of my ties tend to be quick and simple, we have no off season from fishing here and our flies tend to reflect that.
Are there newer effective ties for our waters? Sure.

TT
Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Business Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Wow. I hope Im not offending anyone here but... Lady Gaga??? We're connecting her to this sport? Really? I think thats the last name I'd want to hear on a steelhead river.
I guess we could call them "Iggy Pops" or "Zappa's" but I think what we were going for was the attention grabber of steelhead flies :-)
mridenour likes this.

The Fly Fishing Shop
Welches, OR
800-266-3971
www.flyfishusa.com