The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Missouri Trout Adventures!!! Come take a look!!

Sweet!! I really hope that I can get out after trout atleast once a month until March...or maybe just keep trout fishing until it gets hot again. I like that idea better.

What places are you planning on attacking?

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-28-2013, 09:55 AM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Sweet!! I really hope that I can get out after trout atleast once a month until March...or maybe just keep trout fishing until it gets hot again. I like that idea better.

What places are you planning on attacking?
We are going to go wherever our secret spies tell us the fishing is best up in Wisconsin. Not too sure yet as things change so fast.

My next trout trip will be to Taneycomo. I'll hit that place several times this winter.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
I'll have many fishing adventures down around your area, this winter. I will have to hit you (mridenour) and stl_geoff up when I get the chance to get away. Should be often!
Maybe we can get together on a Taneycomo trip! We can bust out the buggers, scuds and cracklebacks and catch a slew of them.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Maybe swing some large wets on a spey, as well!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
stl_geoff and mridenour like this.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:04 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

Nice post and pics Geoff. I fish that river from the wire to Parker every week, every month. From now through March is my favorite time though as the fishing pressure tails off.

I noticed some big brownies on their redds and the funny/odd thing is that they were further downstream than usual. All this water we got late seemed to change up their habits a bit.

Maybe I will see you or Mike down there one day. I usually fish during the middle of the week as my work schedule is flexible and I really like the solitude.

Joe
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgentile View Post
Nice post and pics Geoff. I fish that river from the wire to Parker every week, every month. From now through March is my favorite time though as the fishing pressure tails off.

I noticed some big brownies on their redds and the funny/odd thing is that they were further downstream than usual. All this water we got late seemed to change up their habits a bit.

Maybe I will see you or Mike down there one day. I usually fish during the middle of the week as my work schedule is flexible and I really like the solitude.

Joe
The middle of the week is great. The river had really changed since the big washout. Some of the spots that held browns were empty. I've heard some bad stories of people gigging suckers and getting some browns too. I think that stream needs to be made fly-fishing only outside the park. No gigging and no spinning tackle with treble hooks.

What do you get the fish to bite on just below the wire? I can never get them to take anything!

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Maybe swing some large wets on a spey, as well!

I've never done that but it would sure work there!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:22 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

I concur. ALL Missouri "Blue Ribbon" designated waters should be changed to fly fish only and catch and release only.

Just below the wire at the "cabin hole" is a great holding spot during the trico spinner fall. I haven't fished the wire in a few weeks, but there have been some good bwo hatches and afternoon caddis hatches on the river and I would bet that those large pods of rainbows were rising there as well.
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:58 AM
mridenour

There was a caddis hatch while we were out this weekend. I only had one on me and it was a little large. Then there was a tree...
Old 10-28-2013, 11:16 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I really should have stopped by. I always make sure I have 2 complete rows of size 16 elk hairs in my fly box, orange, olive and grey. Cant go there without them. At one point the caddis' were so thick when we were fishing they were crawling all over my face. Its fine until they go into your eyeballs. O_o

I thought about tying some spey styled flies for taney next month. we are always there for thanksgiving to house sit for my wife's aunt/uncle who live on table rock. I am determined to catch a brown over 20"s in Missouri this year...
mridenour likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-28-2013, 12:08 PM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
I really should have stopped by. I always make sure I have 2 complete rows of size 16 elk hairs in my fly box, orange, olive and grey. Cant go there without them. At one point the caddis' were so thick when we were fishing they were crawling all over my face. Its fine until they go into your eyeballs. O_o

I thought about tying some spey styled flies for taney next month. we are always there for thanksgiving to house sit for my wife's aunt/uncle who live on table rock. I am determined to catch a brown over 20"s in Missouri this year...
I was mulling around the idea of going down Friday for a day or two at Thanksgiving.

I usually have more EHC's in my box. I was missing a fly box when I got down there. They must be in there. I was kind of lazy this weekend and spent a lot of time stripping buggers.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:14 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I've never caught a fish on an elk hair caddis. I want to. I have some skater tubes in an elk hair that I want to try for trout...