The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 09:48 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Missouri Trout Adventures!!! Come take a look!!

Right now should be pre spawn. You should have good luck everywhere.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2013, 09:55 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
They are in the niangua. A friend of mine went the other weekend and said the browns were biting like crazy.

That one totally slipped my mind. Haven't been there for ages.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
I can get access to a driftboat, not to woried about that. Its more the timing i need to get out there.

I always forget about the Niangua for whatever reason but yes they are in there too. I also want to go bother Brian Wise at Spring Ranch.
Even if I had access to a drift boat, I can't maneuver one...lol. I don't see me getting down to the White River this year. Maybe Taney.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:31 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Right now should be pre spawn. You should have good luck everywhere.

I saw one pair of browns at the first riffle past Baptist access that were activily spawning in a reed. We watched a for a few minutes before moving on. So they are definitly getting ready/starting to make more browns.
mridenour likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-29-2013, 11:40 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
I saw one pair of browns at the first riffle past Baptist access that were activily spawning in a reed. We watched a for a few minutes before moving on. So they are definitly getting ready/starting to make more browns.
I wonder how much success they actually have with so many people stomping through the river.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Judging by the number of them we saw swimming around and jumping in the evenings, plenty. At one point every 3rd fish coming to the surface was a brown.
mridenour likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-29-2013, 04:32 PM

earthtrek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've only been down to Baptist access once, but the crowd I saw didn't act like the kind that would respect the redds. Is this generally the case?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-29-2013, 04:52 PM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

The brown trout in the Current River only go through the motion(s) of spawning. They hook up, mate, guard their eggs but none come to fruition. None hatch, nada, zippo, zilch. The eggs are duds. You will never catch a parr marked brown trout in the current. They thrive and grow but do not successfully spawn.

That is why I stand firm on a C&R policy for all brown trout in MO.

It is still important to give these "breeding" fish room however as their act is instinctual.

The rainbows however, successfully spawn in the Current as well as other "Blue Ribbon" waters.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:46 PM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgentile View Post
The brown trout in the Current River only go through the motion(s) of spawning. They hook up, mate, guard their eggs but none come to fruition. None hatch, nada, zippo, zilch. The eggs are duds. You will never catch a parr marked brown trout in the current. They thrive and grow but do not successfully spawn.

It is still important to give these "breeding" fish room however as their act is instinctual.

The rainbows however, successfully spawn in the Current as well as other "Blue Ribbon" waters.

This. There's some reproduction of rainbows, but most of those fish drift down from the Park. The browns are all stocked from hatcheries in Branson and Neosho. MDC was having issues hatching and rearing browns a few years back, but the problem seems to have been solved and stocking should be on the increase.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:

I've never kept a brown. No matter where I have caught one, they all go back in the water. Never kept a cuttie either. I have only kept stocker rainbows and usually don't do that. The guys in the park get really annoyed if you catch about a dozen while they are standing there frustrated that they can't fill their limit.

I don't understand why treble hooks are legal on lures in our C&R areas. Isn't that increasing the mortality rate? Also, I would love to see some way to keep the browns from moving up into the park where the meat hunters can harvest them. Let them have the rainbows that get dumped out of the trucks every day.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
You will never catch a parr marked brown trout in the current. They thrive and grow but do not successfully spawn.
Interesting because I have caught a par marked brown in the current. It was up in the park, about 6-7" long and had bright purple blots down its side. Im pretty sure browns only get stocked in Taney. I dont think they stock the Current since its a blue ribbon water, if any stocking was happening it would have to be moved to a red or white ribbon.

Storm Drain Bonefisher