The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 07:14 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Missouri Trout Adventures!!! Come take a look!!

I say you skip all of that and head to the eleven point. Now there's a fun place to fish.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2013, 07:24 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I need to! its on my list of places to go. If I do that though its going to be an overnighter with the kayaks.
mridenour likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Let's do it! Sign me up!

Old 10-30-2013, 07:35 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I'm in too! I've never fished there.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

Geoff,

I promise you that MDC stocks browns in the Current and that they do not reproduce. The parr marked brown you caught has to be a little one that got into the truck from "Shepard of the Hills" hatchery.

I have communicated with the MDC fisheries biologist whose territory includes the upper portion of the Current River. He emphatically stated that the brown trout population in ALL Missouri waters do not successfully reproduce.

I was invited to participate in this years survey. I wish I could have made it, but other obligations made it impossible. I want to read the results, though I am rather confident that the numbers for the larger brown trout have declined year over year.

I too would like to see something done to inhibit the migration of brown trout into the park, but this after all is the "Show Me" State and any physical changes to either the ONSR or Montauk State Park would take a myriad of legislation.

I think an easier fix is to "swap" some areas around in the park. I would like see part of the area that is now fly fish only be given back to bait fisherman. In exchange I would propose that all water downstream from the handicap access point be designated fly fish only. This is a significant stretch of water. I am guessing at least one half mile of park water downstream to the wire.

I apologize for hi-jacking your thread here.
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 AM

So, did the biologist tell you why they don't reproduce?

Old 10-30-2013, 07:55 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgentile View Post
Geoff,

I promise you that MDC stocks browns in the Current and that they do not reproduce. The parr marked brown you caught has to be a little one that got into the truck from "Shepard of the Hills" hatchery.

I have communicated with the MDC fisheries biologist whose territory includes the upper portion of the Current River. He emphatically stated that the brown trout population in ALL Missouri waters do not successfully reproduce.

I was invited to participate in this years survey. I wish I could have made it, but other obligations made it impossible. I want to read the results, though I am rather confident that the numbers for the larger brown trout have declined year over year.

I too would like to see something done to inhibit the migration of brown trout into the park, but this after all is the "Show Me" State and any physical changes to either the ONSR or Montauk State Park would take a myriad of legislation.

I think an easier fix is to "swap" some areas around in the park. I would like see part of the area that is now fly fish only be given back to bait fisherman. In exchange I would propose that all water downstream from the handicap access point be designated fly fish only. This is a significant stretch of water. I am guessing at least one half mile of park water downstream to the wire.

I apologize for hi-jacking your thread here.
Some great thoughts here. Is there any kind of movement to do anything to improve the Blue Ribbon section?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:27 AM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
So, did the biologist tell you why they don't reproduce?

Brown trout eggs need winter water temperatures less than 53 degrees in order to hatch. Our spring-fed streams in the Ozarks are pretty temperature stable, and remain around 57-58 degrees through the winter- too warm for the eggs to hatch.

The White River tailwaters are able to draw very cold water from upstream reservoirs- allowing the hatcheries to operate as well as some successful spawning of browns.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:52 AM

I would think that rivers like the eleven point, with its 50+ spring would be cool enough for browns...

Old 10-30-2013, 11:38 AM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough

To my knowledge browns aren't stocked in the Eleven Point, and even the water coming directly out of Greer Spring is still 55-57 degrees- too warm for brown trout eggs to hatch.