The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 02:07 PM

tightlines82 is on a distinguished road
Default Where to fish for trout in MA

hello there

i am moving to MA from Scotland and i am trying to find lakes and reservoirs in MA that i can fish for wild or stocked trout but having a real hard time doing so.
Can someone please send me a link to a few places were i can go , hire out a boat and fly fish the day away. I really dont want to fish for bass and other 'warm water' species as i know they are plentyful in MA and i dont want to go to Canada either.
Surely there are trout fisheries in MA , please help :-( not much of a river fisher either i just want my loch style fishing.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:46 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to fish for trout in MA

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I lived in MA just south of Boston for 9 months before moving to CT. The best fishing in my opinion is in western MA, especially river fishing. There are a number of stocked ponds and you'll find a list here.
Massachusetts Trout Stocked Waters
I hope this is of some help.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:54 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking to fish a reservoir in Mass. then Quabbin is the place to go.
As it's the main water supply for the Boston area, it's a big lake and boy do they have rules
There's 3 boat liveries and you can fish for trout and salmon, but the smallmouth bass fishing is world class

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr...ing-guide.html

You also may be interested in the "Lakes Region" of New Hampshire. Again, trout, salmon and smallmouth. There's a lot of water to choose from.
Western Maine has many lakes as well.

A typical Quabbin smallmouth from last year

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:20 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

That is the largest smallie that I have ever seen.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomagoo View Post
That is the largest smallie that I have ever seen.
That's the largest that anyone has ever seen.

(not a record only because it wasn't caught on a rod & reel)
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:11 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

Don't bother trying the Charles River--it doesn't hold a single trout.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:00 AM

eastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Scotland,

Welcome to the US and the Forum. I live in MA. I FF for trout/Steelhead mostly on rivers but do the ponds and lakes also. You will have plenty of options in MA. depending on do you want to wade only? have a boat/canoe?
where you live and how far you are willing to drive? I can drive less than 1 hr. and be on river & lakes including the Quabin. From here within 1.5 hrs drive VT and ME. Send me a PM, I will send you my E mail address and will be glad to help you out. If you want a guide I know some real good people.

Eastfly

---------- Post added at 06:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 AM ----------

ohh, and I missed the lakes in NH. If you take a vacation and drive 4 hrs you will be in ME. and you will not live long enough to fish all the ponds in that state.!!!!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
If you're looking to fish a reservoir in Mass. then Quabbin is the place to go.
As it's the main water supply for the Boston area, it's a big lake and boy do they have rules
There's 3 boat liveries and you can fish for trout and salmon, but the smallmouth bass fishing is world class

Quabbin Reservoir Fishing Guide

You also may be interested in the "Lakes Region" of New Hampshire. Again, trout, salmon and smallmouth. There's a lot of water to choose from.
Western Maine has many lakes as well.

A typical Quabbin smallmouth from last year

Click the image to open in full size.
How bout telling me what you know about that fish Paul.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-21-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
How bout telling me what you know about that fish Paul.
Turns out it was an internet rumor. and the fish actually came from Kentucky

Quote:
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" -Albert Einstein
Old 11-21-2013, 06:39 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

tightlines82, I'm sorry to say that I don't know of anyone guiding lakes in Massachusetts. The two reservoirs I'd like to get out in a boat on don't allow them (Wachusett and Quabbin).

However, you can rent a kayak, rowboat, or sailboat on Jamaica Pond in Boston and fish all day. The rowboats are only $5 an hour if you have a valid MA fishing license. The pond is stocked every spring (date is disclosed online) and Fall (date is not disclosed), and for the past few years at least there has always been at least one big fish put in.

I live a few blocks from the pond, so if you want to alternate rower duties, I'll be happy to split the cost and go out with you next spring. Hell, I'll row you all over the pond (I might lose a pound or two) for the first few times just so I learn how to fish loch style. Just holla atcha boy (PM me).