The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 12:15 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Newer Fly guy with a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
I was taking a trip to fish for brook trout in the Shenandoah National Park one day. I drove two hours to the stream, and then realized I had left my rod back in the garage. I had an old 7wt 8.5' fiberglass rod with matching click-paw reel in the trunk for some reason. Well, I fished with that. It wasn't optimal, but I caught my biggest trout ever out of the SNP, checking in at 11". Not a bad trout for the Park.

I think people spend way too much time worrying about having the right gear and not nearly enough time fishing with they have.
I agree, and definitely fall into the trap myself. But if the average specimen of the species on the water you are fishing, is more than likely going to steal your lunch money? Not acceptable to me. I say use the 5WT for brookies, and "Just say no to ultralight steelheadin". JMHO, nobody is right or wrong here.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:23 PM

ontariooutdoorsman is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Newer Fly guy with a question

Thanks for the opinions all and fq13, I probably should have checked the classifieds. I worked all night and after reading some I went into town and bought a Greys GRXI 8 wt. The GRXI felt good in hand and was $149.00 so hopefully it will help me get back into some casting of some sort. The 8 wt will be more than enough for the smaller steelhead creeks like Wilmont, Bowmanville, and Oshawa but the guy at the store also told me that if I, and I defiantly plan on, fish the Ganaraska R. for steelhead I will need the 8.
I bought a Hardy 5000 CLS which is rated for 5, 6, and 7 but I just spooled it with Rio Gold and got 100 meters of backing on the spool so hopefully 100 meters of backing is enough.
Thanks again all. I notice there is forums for particular fly fishing and gear questions so I will defiantly be using them

Store had a beautiful Hardy 4 wt that looks like it could be mine come spring
Old 11-08-2013, 01:48 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
I think people spend way too much time worrying about having the right gear and not nearly enough time fishing with they have.
Very true words here. You could use a 10wt if that's what you had...
Old 11-08-2013, 01:51 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontariooutdoorsman View Post
Thanks for the opinions all and fq13, I probably should have checked the classifieds. I worked all night and after reading some I went into town and bought a Greys GRXI 8 wt. The GRXI felt good in hand and was $149.00 so hopefully it will help me get back into some casting of some sort. The 8 wt will be more than enough for the smaller steelhead creeks like Wilmont, Bowmanville, and Oshawa but the guy at the store also told me that if I, and I defiantly plan on, fish the Ganaraska R. for steelhead I will need the 8.
I bought a Hardy 5000 CLS which is rated for 5, 6, and 7 but I just spooled it with Rio Gold and got 100 meters of backing on the spool so hopefully 100 meters of backing is enough.
Thanks again all. I notice there is forums for particular fly fishing and gear questions so I will defiantly be using them

Store had a beautiful Hardy 4 wt that looks like it could be mine come spring
That Grey is by all accounts a great rod. Today I just got in the mail a 3wt Reddington CT and a Cabelas house brand reel. I love the look of the rod, but the reel screams cheesy. So what do I do? I got out my Granddads old Hardy Perfect circa 1950 and damn it classes up that rod.
I'm a little hesitant about exposing it to the salt so I might buy a new reel, but mechanically its perfect after sixty years. If you buy Hardy/Grey you can buy with confidence. Enjoy.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:04 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
That Grey is by all accounts a great rod. Today I just got in the mail a 3wt Reddington CT and a Cabelas house brand reel. I love the look of the rod, but the reel screams cheesy. So what do I do? I got out my Granddads old Hardy Perfect circa 1950 and damn it classes up that rod.
I'm a little hesitant about exposing it to the salt so I might buy a new reel, but mechanically its perfect after sixty years. If you buy Hardy/Grey you can buy with confidence. Enjoy.
Which reel did you get? I think their $50 and up stuff is serviceable for lighter weight stuff. The reel you got is probably perfect for ruining in the salt since all it does is hold 3WT line anyway. At least while you shop because I know that is what you are going to do
Old 11-08-2013, 02:54 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Very true words here. You could use a 10wt if that's what you had...
My main rod at the time was a 7'6" 2-piece glass rod. One time, I slipped and fell on it after an hour hike, right as i was getting in the stream. Fortunately it was the buttsection that broke halfway up. So I fished with the 4'6" resulting rod. Caught a couple, so I guess I did OK. Best was 8".

Same stream. I guess I should stop calling it my lucky spot.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:57 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Which reel did you get? I think their $50 and up stuff is serviceable for lighter weight stuff. The reel you got is probably perfect for ruining in the salt since all it does is hold 3WT line anyway. At least while you shop because I know that is what you are going to do
ROFL! All very true. Its a prestige, normally fifty, mine for twenty five. The thing just screams cheesy, but as you said, so what? Better to use that than screw up that sweet old Hardy. But boy the Hardy does look good on the rod.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Ya I got sold on the Hardy feel of the drag and the quality as well as the interchangeable cartilages. The Greys rod well I liked it but was a little unwilling to spend too much until I get back into casting and see how it goes and it seemed good for the money. My main will be for a 4 wt and a 6 wt in the spring. Until recently no one carried high quality fly fishing equipment in my area but that has changed.....so many options now I was going to order the TFO BVK 8 wt but was a little too impulsive to wait for delivery lol
Old 11-08-2013, 06:24 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

You have caught it. It's incurable, and yet, enjoyable. Start looking for that second job now, and be writing down what you " need " next. Leave that list where your significant other can find it.
The hook has been set. Prepare to become immersed in the joy of fishing and tackle shopping !
Old 11-08-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
You have caught it. It's incurable, and yet, enjoyable. Start looking for that second job now, and be writing down what you " need " next. Leave that list where your significant other can find it.
The hook has been set. Prepare to become immersed in the joy of fishing and tackle shopping !
LMAO. Just finished talking to my wife about it. She knows how bad I want to get back into this. When I first became interested in fly fishing I was working in Algonquin Provincial Park, Speckled trout heaven! I met my wife working there and when we met that summer she bought me a browning fly rod for my birthday, ( terrible rod). Anyway....got married, became busy in life, had children, and spent way too much time golfing last few years. So I mentioned if my daughters, aged 12 and 10, get interested in me practicing fly casting in the back yard well I'm going to buy them their own outfit to start out. My wife say's, " I'd rather get into fly fishing than golf and maybe we can all do it together". I'm seeing nothing but a win win situation that could break my bank account