The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Hardyreels
  • 4 Post By cochise
  • 1 Post By ejsell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 02:04 PM

nobullygator will become famous soon enoughnobullygator will become famous soon enough
Default Rainbow and Brownies

What are rainbows and brownies hitting on this time of year.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:18 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rainbow and Brownies

It's streamer time! Olive, white, black, brown, articulated, heavily weighted or unweighted. Track down info on Kelly Galloup and you will find some of the best streamers around.

Kelly.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:23 PM

nobullygator will become famous soon enoughnobullygator will become famous soon enough

can a 5 weight throw streamers decently?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:31 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

I'd try an egg pattern.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobullygator View Post
can a 5 weight throw streamers decently?
If you learn how to use that #5 rod properly it'll throw just about anything you want to use. I fished pike this summer with bunny fur pike flies about 5" long with a big plastic head on them using a 7'9" 5 weight. Honest to God I like casting with it better than with my 9' 9 weight and it'll handle the fish too.

I'm a believer in becoming proficient with rods that you own and not falling into the trap where you believe that you must have a different rod for every type of fly you will fish with. If you become a good caster and you can afford a bunch of rods then it's your money and you should have what you want. Too many times I see folks putting the cart ahead of the horse when it comes to fly rods and many other things as well.

Your #5 will be fine.

Ard
duker, ejsell and nobullygator like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-09-2013, 09:03 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I use my 9 foot five weight for virtually everything this time of year except when I'm exclusively Fishing small dries. The Henry's Fork is 2 miles from the house and here's what was hitting today on Woolly buggers stripped fast. The fishing was mad today. Fish we're chasing and devouring the bugger like it was fish candy.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:04 AM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
If you learn how to use that #5 rod properly it'll throw just about anything you want to use. I fished pike this summer with bunny fur pike flies about 5" long with a big plastic head on them using a 7'9" 5 weight. Honest to God I like casting with it better than with my 9' 9 weight and it'll handle the fish too.

I'm a believer in becoming proficient with rods that you own and not falling into the trap where you believe that you must have a different rod for every type of fly you will fish with. If you become a good caster and you can afford a bunch of rods then it's your money and you should have what you want. Too many times I see folks putting the cart ahead of the horse when it comes to fly rods and many other things as well.

Your #5 will be fine.

Ard
Good advice. If its a reasonably fast action you'll be fine. I use a 4wt and a 6wt for 70% of my fishing and I throw some big old streamers on them. Its not always pretty as I have to ape arm some of those larger patterns out there, but it works. Full disclousure, I did finally surrender and bought an eight weight, but I still throw stupidly big stuff off my six weight Sage and enjoy the fight when I hook up. Same with my four weight. I'll chuck and duck a number four clouser for jacks on that rod and think nothing of it. Its a blast when I get one. I love a light rod. That poor little three weight Reddington has no idea what its in for.;-) ROFL. Use what you have, the fish won't care.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:23 AM

ejsell is on a distinguished road

I throw big streamers all the time with my 5wt. It's an 8'6" mid-fast rod. Over the summer I tied a bunch of heavy bunny zonker patterns with lead eyes meant for steelhead. I tried them out on my 5wt. fishing for small mouth bass. No real issues just had to adjust my cast timing and use a heavier leader and tippet than I normally use with my 5wt. I also threw a lighter but bulky mouse pattern with it and didn't have any issues. Again just adjusted my timing.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsell View Post
No real issues just had to adjust my cast timing and use a heavier leader and tippet than I normally use with my 5wt.
That pretty much nails it!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-10-2013, 06:29 PM

mirabelasunshine is a jewel in the roughmirabelasunshine is a jewel in the roughmirabelasunshine is a jewel in the rough

Re: the original question -- rainbows and browns will in some cases be hitting streamers this time of year, but if the water has gotten down below the high-mid 40's you might do better dead drifting nymphs. The usual suspects in 12 - 16 will do OK as will larger stoneflies. A friend of mine swears by pink SJ worms, especially for lake run fish.

Bottom line is, go out ready to experiment, and keep picking at the lock until it opens or your time is up.