The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 07:21 PM

aric is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie with some questions.

Hi,

I am a newbie to fly fishing, really got the bug when I was down in Florida doing some surf fishing. Made my way out to some shallow flats and wished I had a fly rod. Got home and bought a White River kit from Bass Pro after reading reviews on a good starter kit. Talked with the guy in the fly area and bought a few as he called basic flies to start with. I live in east TN, just a few minutes from the Smoky Mountains. Went up there the other day to get my feet wet so to speak and practice casting a bit more.

My questions are, I seemed to have a few good casts, then have some really bad ones. Does it get easier to cast the more you do it? While I was also fishing I saw 4 trout swimming right next to me, towards the direction I was casting. I was using some sort of nymph, forgive me I cannot remember the name, but I had no luck in almost 4 hours of fishing. I guess it's safe to say fly fishing is a lot like other types of fishing when it comes to actually catching a fish. Are there ways to increase my luck, or will catching fish come easier with more experience I get?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Newbie with some questions.

Welcome to the forum and hang in there. Ask around and find out what the go to flies are on your local water right now. And pay careful attention to the sizes to make sure you are close. Confidence in the fly makes it easier to pay attention to more important things like the casting basics etc.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 11-11-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:35 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Practice and form are huge, presentation next and fly choice last.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:42 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Little river outfitters in Townsend offers a beginners fly fishing class good place to start .

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

A good local guide can shorten the learning curve a great deal might give Josh at frointer angler in Marville a call
mcnerney, von behr and williamhj like this.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:48 PM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about

I can relate to where you're coming from. I had to teach myself and learn everything that I know about fly fishing on my own. I'd recommend going to the Orvis online fly fishing videos. They give a lot of great info for getting into fly fishing. Whenever you encounter something that stumps you, google it, youtube it, or go to a fly shop and ask about it. Good luck with your future endeavors!

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

And about casting, I'd recommend starting off fly fishing for bluegills in a pond. It helps you so much with getting your casting down, and it gives you a heck of a lot more experience with fly fishing in general.
von behr likes this.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:12 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

It isn't hard, its just practice. My form isn't great as I'm self taught. But so what? I catch my share. Just get out on the lawn or better yet a bluegill pond and throw. Don't go for big casts. Set yourself a goal of good casts at thirty feet. Keep your elbow tucked, count to four and don't force the cast. Let the rod do the work. Feel it load and watch your backcast. You'll know when it looks and feels right. Just stick with it. It will click for you. Once you can cast thIrty feet you can catch fish. From there you can work on casting longer. But step one is short controlled cāsts.

Ii
Old 11-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Checkout the response I made in this thread, it is #6.
Eager to Learn, New to Ohio

Also, there are some really good casting instruction videos on YouTube that you might want to look at. Most beginners start out casting with a casting stroke that is way to fast and way to wide of an arc, they start the forward cast while the line is still traveling back. Take a look at this tip on casting:
Pro Tip: Three Tips for a Better Backcast | Orvis News

Larry
von behr likes this.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

The youtube videos Larry refers too are great if you don't have local instruction. Orvis, Tightlines etc. and others are excellent. One caution though. All these guys are expert fly casters with their own little twist on techniques. I watched too many vids initially and found myself trying to remember way more "rules" than necessary. They contradict each other somewhat. If I did it over, I'd pick one online instructor, and stick with his techniques until I had the basics down.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:55 AM

aric is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info. I've been trying to watch as many how-to videos I can. I found myself casting without watching my back cast. Those casts were very bad. When I would cast and watch the back cast the casts were good. There are a few bluegill spots I know of here, I will try my hand at that soon. Thanks again.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:27 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikefisher69 View Post
I can relate to where you're coming from. I had to teach myself and learn everything that I know about fly fishing on my own. I'd recommend going to the Orvis online fly fishing videos. They give a lot of great info for getting into fly fishing. Whenever you encounter something that stumps you, google it, youtube it, or go to a fly shop and ask about it. Good luck with your future endeavors!

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

And about casting, I'd recommend starting off fly fishing for bluegills in a pond. It helps you so much with getting your casting down, and it gives you a heck of a lot more experience with fly fishing in general.
The bluegill idea is a good one. Trout can be picky feeders, depending on on the water and the conditions. However, bluegill just eat. They will boost your confidence and give you great feedback, if you know what I mean.

Welcome to the forum!

-VB