The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By craigthor
  • 1 Post By fishiowa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 05:08 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Getting schooled at Bloody Run.

Well took a family trip about an hour and a half North to visit a stream I haven't been to in some time. We left home about 7:30 am and started our journey North. We arrived just after 9:00 am to find an almost empty stream short of a couple vehicles.

Lots of fish visible and with it still about 40 degrees they were moving a touch slow. Got out the Sage 279-2 LL and started tossing small dries, after about an hour I started to get hits on a size 20 Midge Adult pattern that I promptly lost on a back cast after trying to set the hook. All together I hooked 6 fish and brought 4 to hand along with many misses so next time I will be armed with even smaller midges to try out.

This guy was about 1/2 mile up I snuck up on a sharp corner in the stream and watch him dive back under the limbs and rocks, after a minute he worked his way back up into the riffles coming into this little cut. A couple minutes later he was in hand, couple quick pictures and right back into the stream for another day.

Click the image to open in full size.

There was tons of algae starting to die off and work itself out of the stream so I had to watch where I was casting to keep the line and fly out of the sludge.

After canvasing about a mile of stream I headed back to start rehydrating lunch. Once it was soaking I fished another 30 minutes with a few hits but little action.

Before lunch a BWO hatch started off and though I was using size 20's I could have easily used some 22-26's which would have been better sized and probably resulted in more fish to hand. I did land 2 nice Rainbows after lunch and here is a picture of my son releasing the largest one.

After that there was a couple that rode there horses over and my son went to check them out and they let him ride one of them around, wasn't sure if i was going to be bringing a kid home with me at that point.

Overall it was a gorgeous day with a high of 55 on the way home and now it is time to hit the vise for some go to stuff that I had tied testers out of so I can be ready for the next time.

Craig
Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Getting schooled at Bloody Run.

Looks like a pretty good day from here. Never been to Bloody Run. I think I have about 94 Iowa trout streams left on my checklist.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:44 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Looks like a pretty good day from here. Never been to Bloody Run. I think I have about 94 Iowa trout streams left on my checklist.
We'll have to go up there sometime I'll cover gas. It is a very technical stream move slow and stay hidden if they sense anything they lock up and don't move.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:49 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
We'll have to go up there sometime I'll cover gas. It is a very technical stream move slow and stay hidden if they sense anything they lock up and don't move.
I'll give you a 50 yard head start then, so I don't scare the fish.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I'll give you a 50 yard head start then, so I don't scare the fish.
Water is crystal clear, also I highly recommend chest waders as my hippies were too short in one spot that was very deceiving. I'll let you go first only one way to learn...
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Water is crystal clear, also I highly recommend chest waders as my hippies were too short in one spot that was very deceiving.
There are a couple spots where chest waders aren't enough on that stream
craigthor likes this.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
There are a couple spots where chest waders aren't enough on that stream
I'd believe it I think I know where a couple are at myself, though I need to get back out there hopefully soon as I realized my water filter bladder didn't make it back into the car.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:17 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Getting schooled at Bloody Run.

I scouted this on my way to Decorah a few winters back. It's one I the first over the border on the way. I did like the looks of the stream but was on my way further up and just checked it out. Does look like its worth a stop next time around.

Thanks for a good report. I'll take my tough days like that, mine are normally zero. Lol
Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great trip report, congrats on an awesome day on the water!

Larry