The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 03:07 PM

mahoosuc is on a distinguished road
Default Proper Reel for hardy 9ft6wt Zenith

Just purchased a new hardy 9ft6wt Zenith. Also purchased a DD Ultralite Hardy reel - the 5000. So much larger than my little Hardy LRH that I am used to but it's the first larger arbor reel I've purchased. Anyone have a thought as to balancing properly with the 9ft6wt? 6wt would seem to be in the middle of it's listed capacity range but wonder if I should step down to the 4000 whose range tops out at the 6wt. Any direct experience with the 5000 on the this rod?

Thanks!

Mark
Old 11-30-2013, 04:30 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Proper Reel for hardy 9ft6wt Zenith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoosuc View Post
Just purchased a new hardy 9ft6wt Zenith. Also purchased a DD Ultralite Hardy reel - the 5000. So much larger than my little Hardy LRH that I am used to but it's the first larger arbor reel I've purchased. Anyone have a thought as to balancing properly with the 9ft6wt? 6wt would seem to be in the middle of it's listed capacity range but wonder if I should step down to the 4000 whose range tops out at the 6wt. Any direct experience with the 5000 on the this rod?

Thanks!

Mark
If you don't like it and can send it back, do so. You don't have to have a reason, sometimes a reel just doesn't suit you. Not saying you should do this as I don't know the reel and it might be great. But if its hate ate first sight send it back. If this isn't an option spool the thing up and cast it. You might like it.. If not, sell it here. No one expects an LNIB rod or reel to be uncast. You wouldn't be selling it if you didn't dislike it. We all have had perfectly good rods or reels that just didn't click for us. Its a Hardy. Someone will want it.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:32 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I don't have that rod but I think you got the right reel for it; I had the 4000 on my 8.5' 5wt Z-axis and it balanced nicely but I think it would be too light for your 6wt. That's gonna be a sweet set-up!
Old 11-30-2013, 06:12 PM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

I think the 5000 should be the right size for the 6wt, but if you don't like the look or feel of it go with something else. I would look at other brands as I don't think the 4000 is big enough.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 11-30-2013, 07:36 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

The only reason I'm selling my DD4000 is I like the loud clicker reels. The DD is like a fine piece of jewellery. Very nice, and a nice sound too, just not loud enough for me lol. One thing I will miss is the speedy large arbor wind in; when a fish is coming straight at you it's easier to keep up. The large arbor and narrow spool design makes them look big but makes them an awesome performance reel.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:52 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Maybe a Hardy perfect would be, well Perfect.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 11-30-2013, 07:56 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman1 View Post
Maybe a Hardy perfect would be, well Perfect.
I have a sweet antique one, but its too small for a six weight. If you have a three or four weight PM me. Its a 2 5/8ths inch.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mark: Welcome to the forum! I can't help with that reel as I have never owned one; however I do have the Hardy Zenith 5 wt and absolutely love it, be sure to post up what you think of the 6 wt once you get it all rigged up and a chance to try it out on the water.

Larry
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 PM

mahoosuc is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for advice
I'll keep you posted
Old 12-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Welcome to the forum

I'd keep the big reel, big reels are good on longer rods. I(personal opinion) think a long rod with a tiny reel looks strange. The only rod I really worry about having a small reel on is my 6'6" 3 wt. cane. Other than I use reels on the large side of the scale.

Hope you stick around,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;