The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Incredulous (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/338751-incredulous.html)

siege 11-30-2013 07:57 PM

Incredulous

We were getting our gear ready down by the river this morning, and a guy walking the bank came over to chat for a minute. The first thing he said was " you guys are really going to get in that cold water on purpose ? "
It was mid 30's, clear, and a very light breeze. We all wore a light pair of dress socks under some heavy synthetic boot socks. UnderArmor tops and bottoms as a base layer, fleece pants under the waders. Light shirt over the base layer, fleece hoodie under a wind shell. We were very comfortable all day.
It smelled a little skunky for about an hour, then I discovered the fat little cutts liked white maribou streamers. All in all a very pleasant day on the south fork of the Snake.

fq13 11-30-2013 08:10 PM

Re: Incredulous

While I have gotten into freezing water to kill ducks, I'm kind of with that guy. Down here if the water temp drops much below sixty degrees the fish begin to die, and I DAMN sure ain't going out in it, you can plainly see its unhealtly! ROFL!

williamhj 11-30-2013 08:29 PM

A wise man indeed! Anyone searching forums, wondering if they should go fishing in the winter (particularly waters I might be fishing) should know that it is far too cold to fish and would be better off staying home. :)

mtbusman 12-01-2013 03:20 AM

I concur. Spread the word.:icon_wink

fredaevans 12-01-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamhj (Post 615913)
A wise man indeed! Anyone searching forums, wondering if they should go fishing in the winter (particularly waters I might be fishing) should know that it is far too cold to fish and would be better off staying home. :)

+1 to what Bill just posted up. Fish (cold water anyway) operate best between (roughly) 42 to 52 degree water temps. As they take their body temp/activity (wrong word that last) below that they just slooooow down. Physically no choice. Water into the 30's you'd better 'bonk him right on the nose' 95% of the time.

Warmer water and find me a deep pool with cooler water!

fae

mcnerney 12-01-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fq13 (Post 615905)
While I have gotten into freezing water to kill ducks, I'm kind of with that guy. Down here if the water temp drops much below sixty degrees the fish begin to die, and I DAMN sure ain't going out in it, you can plainly see its unhealtly! ROFL!

I've lived down there in Florida and agree with what you are saying, but here in the Rockies a 30 degree day with only a light breeze can be a pretty nice outing and provide some great fishing without the crowds.

Larry

rocketbomb 12-01-2013 02:13 PM

30s, sunny, and calm is a beautiful winter day. Shoot, 0 degrees, calm, and sunny is a perfectly fine day in my book. There are people around here that are crazy enough to drill holes in the ice and fish through it! Plenty of good fishing to be had in the winter, though it may not be with the fly rod sometimes. On Friday I went out fishing in weather about 31F and very breezy and had a great time. The fish are slow, but they have to eat.

cpiercem 12-03-2013 03:20 PM

Nice day for some fishing. The water levels are looking good. How was the wading? Did you catch any browns, bows, or whitefish?

kglissmeyer1 12-03-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siege (Post 615903)
We were getting our gear ready down by the river this morning, and a guy walking the bank came over to chat for a minute. The first thing he said was " you guys are really going to get in that cold water on purpose ? "
It was mid 30's, clear, and a very light breeze. We all wore a light pair of dress socks under some heavy synthetic boot socks. UnderArmor tops and bottoms as a base layer, fleece pants under the waders. Light shirt over the base layer, fleece hoodie under a wind shell. We were very comfortable all day.
It smelled a little skunky for about an hour, then I discovered the fat little cutts liked white maribou streamers. All in all a very pleasant day on the south fork of the Snake.

Those white streamers have been working well in a lot of local waters. I'm glad you got into them. While the air temps are certainly cold, water temps are not the same and fish are very active this time of year. Fall, Winter, and Spring are my favorite times to get out on the water.

I try not to go if the air temps are below 20-F, but above that I'm there and catching fish. Dress for the occasion and get on the water.

Kelly.

runningfish 12-03-2013 04:05 PM

The more miserable the condition is the better it is since less and less people will toughen it up. I just have to make sure that I will be comfortable.