The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about
Default Anyone else looking forward to fall?

Hereís a couple of pics from 2009. Anyone else here that fishes great lakes salmon? The season is just around the corner and Iím already making preparations. Iím tying some new patterns and going over my gear. I donít think I can wait any longerÖ

Blake

Click the image to open in full size.

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 08-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Anyone else looking forward to fall?

Nice fish but "Fall" that's the one right before winter isn't it? When I lived down east I chased the salmon from when the Atlantic's started to show in June through the Lake Effect snows of Ontario and Erie rivers and creeks. It never quit, when the salmon were done the steelhead were in but here when fall gets here you service the snowmachine, hook on the plow, and hope you've got enough wood put up; so nah I'm never anxious for fall anymore.

Nice fish,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-02-2010, 07:44 AM

driftless will become famous soon enoughdriftless will become famous soon enough

Blake,
Not so much pumped about the salmon but the browns and steel are on my mind constantly! It's just around the corner. Only issue is that this is also a pretty good time to be following a well trained dog through the grouse and woodcock coverts as well
Old 08-02-2010, 10:08 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

I have to say that I am looking forward to fall. The fishing, the cooler weather, and all the great seasonal beers......
Cant wait.
To me theres nothing better than kicking back after a long day of hokking up with some native brookies and enjoying a great Octoberfest brew. Or other frothy beverage of choice.......

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 AM

stevewes2004 will become famous soon enoughstevewes2004 will become famous soon enough

to the initial question: yes, i am looking forward to fall. but thats because my fly rods get traded for archery equipment
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Blake,
Right now, I'm so concentrated on dry fly fishing for resident Rainbow Trout (big ones they are), that I have not given Fall much thought.

Now that you mentioned it, I am looking forward to it. Like Driftless, I have Steelhead on my mind. I'll be making long swings with my two handers. I also will make a trip to the Pit River for the Isonichia mayfly hatch. I love throwing large dry flies at stupid big fish. I also make a trip to the Eastern Sierra for big Brown Trout.

A positive for Northern California is that this year had record amounts of rain. With most of the waters that I fish being tailwater fisheries, there will be plenty of cold water for the fish.

MP
Old 08-02-2010, 10:24 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Salmon and Steelhead, and Browns, and Pheasants, Ducks, and Grouse... How am I going to find time to hunt with my bow? Guess I'll have to work out a schedule...LOL Looking forward to Fall? You Bet!

Dan
Old 08-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Salmon and Steelhead, and Browns, and Pheasants, Ducks, and Grouse... How am I going to find time to hunt with my bow? Guess I'll have to work out a schedule...LOL Looking forward to Fall? You Bet!

Dan

You know if they don't go to the Ocean, they don't really count as steelhead right

Seriously though I am looking forward to fall. We are supposed to have a great run this year. Looking at the current numbers they are about 6 times what they were last year at this time. I am counting down the days till Sept. Then me and my spey rod will have some fun.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:22 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
You know if they don't go to the Ocean, they don't really count as steelhead right

Seriously though I am looking forward to fall. We are supposed to have a great run this year. Looking at the current numbers they are about 6 times what they were last year at this time. I am counting down the days till Sept. Then me and my spey rod will have some fun.

Steelhead or Big Rainbows if you prefer; they put on a great show when you hook one whatever you choose to call them...

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-rocky-hen.jpg

Dan
Old 08-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Just givin you "lake run" guys a little ribbing