The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 PM

fin??whatfin?? is on a distinguished road
Default portland rivers

i am going to school in portland and was wondering if there are any good rivers/lakes nearby(have no car so must be accesible by bus/cab).
Old 02-19-2008, 10:29 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: portland rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fin??whatfin?? View Post
i am going to school in portland and was wondering if there are any good rivers/lakes nearby(have no car so must be accesible by bus/cab).
Hey kid, thumb will get you farther, cheaper too :-)

There is some amazing water across the sound and to your south as I understand it, but I'll let the locals give you real deal on that. Good luck!

TL's~

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
Hey kid, thumb will get you farther, cheaper too :-)

There is some amazing water across the sound and to your south as I understand it, but I'll let the locals give you real deal on that. Good luck!

TL's~
what do you mean thumb? never mind i get it
we cannot leave campus during the week here (why did my grandad send me here?) during weekend nobody wants to go to fishing shop they all want to study so i cannot go to many places to ask. when they do want to go some where they refuse to go ask where to go instead we end at the stupid mall or something (most people here are international).
Old 02-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hello fin,
You got a lotta options at your front door, the "springers and Steelhead" will be runnin soon on the Columbia, Willamette & the Sandy Rivers.

Whatcha studyin?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 PM

is there flyfishing on columbia? if so where on the columbia (bouy ten ,lol)
i am studing stuff in highscholl caue "montesano has to many drugs and smoking problems"(my grandad 1 1/2 years ago) i am goin to a boarding high school with a roomate who barely speaks english and has no mastered the art of eating with mouth shut.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I actually started a thread about fishing in the Portland area a while back,
Was wondering about the Sandy and the Grande Ronde Rivers, havn't fly fished the area but I have fished the Columbia about 5 yrs ago with a guide runnin plugs w/bait.
Yea I guess the Columbia would be tough with a flyrod eh.

If your interested I will give you the guides website, he does guide flyfisherman also.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 PM

you live in portland?
that would be good to have the guides info thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

No, I live in Utah. Went there with a friend of mine and fished for 3 days on the Columbia.
Heres the link. Chris Vertopoulos, Oregon Fishing Guide - Northwest Angling Experience - Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon Fishing in Oregon

Chris is a great guide and will work hard to get you into fish.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:28 AM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Grew up in Portland. The Columbia is ok for salmon and sturgeon up by Boneville Dam. The Sandy is good, as is the Clackamas. The Clackamas has good fly fishing its entire length. Gales Creek is fun fishing. Sauvies Island has several lakes/sloughs which contain sunfish, some bass and catfish. The sloughs along the Columbia are sometimes good for sunfish, bass, catfish and carp. There are hundreds of little no name creeks, which all contain some fish. Johnson Creek is questionable, but I had friends which fished it regularly. I have caught trout two blocks from my niece's house in a rivelut flowing through a concrete pipe. You can catch TriMet out to Troutdale and then walk to the Sandy. Good luck. I could always catch two or three trout everytime I went out.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:21 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

this site might help too:

http://westfly.com/cgi-bin/fly-fishi...y?state=OREGON

sorry if it's breaking a rule to post about another site but i didn't see anything mentioned.

eric
fresno, ca.