The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Would these patterns work on a cold day in PA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Avs, you really need to tie them given that Charlie is out your way. I'm sure if he's tying them, they work well in your geographic region. They fish well here in PA and in the Midwest. Hands down, one of the most productive flies in my box. Two tungsten beads, small body, slim profile are exceptionally great in the early season and winter.

Those ones are a little messy, it's taken me a while to get tying them down. While it's a #14 hook gap, the body is more like a 16 or 18 so it's a small fly with a lot going on. That batch I used X minute epoxy for the case back and when you are using that, you need to get those flies tied first then add the epoxy. I have since discovered Bug Bond which is just wonderful but expensive stuff. I was looking for a more current photo of the ones I did this year but can't find it. Those are my first or second batch of them.
I definitely will be whipping up a few dozen this winter. The remind me of the skinny nelson just with a double bead head. I had seen them on Charlie's site but didnt think much of it. I will have to get some of those TMC 921 hooks.I have 100's of the Dai Riki 125's which look to be comparable.

Do you fish these year round or just fall/winter ?
Old 12-06-2013, 04:34 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I definitely will be whipping up a few dozen this winter. The remind me of the skinny nelson just with a double bead head. I had seen them on Charlie's site but didnt think much of it. I will have to get some of those TMC 921 hooks.I have 100's of the Dai Riki 125's which look to be comparable.

Do you fish these year round or just fall/winter ?
Fish them year round and adjust the size accordingly. What I mean by this is some streams have larger nymphs. The size 14 seems to be the sweet spot for me but it may differ where you fish. The Skinny Nelson is another good fly to have on hand. Google the Tungsten Torpedo. A larger fly but another slim bodied nymph that has proven itself effective for me.

I can't speak to Dai Riki Hooks but have found that the Daiichi 1510 hook is close but a little thicker and thus requires a larger bead and at least in my opinion, throws the profile off. What's great about those 921's is they're thin wire so the right size beads fit onto the hook and the profile is spot on. Not every shop stocks them, so I ordered mine from Charlie's Fly Box. I figure since the man went to the trouble took to put up all those tutorials, it's a small way to say thank you.
Hardyreels and comeonavs like this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 12-06-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Reading through and it occurred to me that two of you guys sound like a couple tackle junkies

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-06-2013, 08:42 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Reading through and it occurred to me that two of you guys sound like a couple tackle junkies
Haven't met a fly rod I don't want to try or a fly I don't want to tie
Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

Don't you know it!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

I'm about to start with PA trout also! The bluegills are done, and the crappie went deep. Like everyone has already said "go low and slow"

I like "chez nymphing" the best, but the flies you have will be great also!

Spring and Limestoners are good fishing all winter. PA streams stay a good temp, and trout bite all year. And it's fun to fish in the snow!

tiny flies slow near the bottom:

Click the image to open in full size.

busbus likes this.