The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Nearly hit an inside the park grandslam

NEARLY!! Instead it was just a three runner....

Yesterday was my second day on the water for 2013, and probably my last too. Checked the weather during the week and sought permission based on the fact it was gonna be low 30s with snow/rain mix - not ideal outside weather for the family; so permission was granted.

I decided I'd leave a little later than i normally do, in order to arrive at the fly shop close to the water right about opening time, 11am, and also given it was gonna be cold, I figured things would liven up on the stream right when the sun was at its highest, or at least closer to midday, given there was no sun.

So I stopped by the tackle store, chewed the fat, bought some fly tying materials, because you know, I dont have enough, and got some local skinny on the water. I've only fished this stream two times in the past as its a 65 mile drive from my house (one way), but both times I've had success, so I went in confident. Well, when I say confident, I mean as confident as i could be given the last time I was there i took a dunk, almost to the same day, this time last year. But I digress.

So, I get to the stream, tackle up and hit the nice riffle that's right there at the access point. I fish it for about an hour with some competitors - but neither of us catch anything.
Click the image to open in full size.
As I'm casting i'm looking around always watching, as you do, for signs of activity. I figured since I saw my feathered friend's head dive a couple times, that there was definitely fish in the area.

I see some fish rising in a feeder stream right before it entered the main water - it had a nice slow flow, a little riffle, and was pretty shallow. Bear in mind, the thermometer on the car read 32F when I got out to tackle up, so I was intrigued to find what they were rising too (I still have no idea)

So I gently wade over there (makeshift hiking pole/wading staff in hand) and start drifting my flies down. There was at least 5-6 fish based on the periodicity and location of the rises.
So then it starts to snow, just a gentle flutter and I finally feel the bump bump of a fish hitting my fly - Keep calm and don't trout set - so I gently haul the line to hook him - a little 5 inch rainbow. Nice one, skunk off, but my little zebra midge is unraveled so I change to a red one in the same size (only one black zebra in my box ) and fish the rest of my time in that little hole. I end up catching a nice 8 inch brownie as the snow starts to get heavier, on the red zebra. Thinking i would only have a little while left, i keep casting and catch another. This time a nice 8 inch tiger trout....which was interesting, cause i wasnt aware there were brook trout in that stream. Now my interest is peaked, and I want the inside the park grand slam. But to no avail. I started fishing about 1145 and had decided to call it quits about 2pm. My wife called and told me there had been 15cm of snow at home and that i shouldnt come home too late. Ended up took me almost 3 hours at 35-40 MPH in snow and rough conditions to get home, but the two and half hours on the water was definitely worth it. No fish pictures as I forgot my net and didnt want to be troubling the fish any more than a hook in their jaw, plus it was way too cold to be fumbling with phone.

I've now got the career grand slam if I include my little Maine brookies from a few summers ago....All in all, its been a great 2 day season for me this year!!

Eunan

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-09-2013, 09:35 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nearly hit an inside the park grandslam

Congrats, always cool. Finding a Tiger is still on my list I know of several streams that have been stocked with Brookies that also have a population of Browns.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:36 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice writeup Eunan. Great to see that you got out on the water for a change! Tigers are one that I still have on my list, you're lucky to have hooked into one and landed it.

I bet you were eyeing up the feathers on your fishin' buddy.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:48 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

You took pictures of the heron but none of the tiger. tisk tisk. haha

Sounds like a fun few hours on the water. I need to get out to some spring creeks soon if it warms up any.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-09-2013, 10:43 AM

flyfishnbum is on a distinguished road

Good write up..Sounds like a great day on the water. You are definetly right about one thing. You can never have enough flytying material.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan: Very nice trip report, your ahead of me, I'm still hunting for my first Tiger Trout!

Larry

Larry
Old 12-09-2013, 01:23 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Nice going on theSlam Eunan! Those tigers are cool looking! Found out last year that one of the hatcheries the PA DEC uses put Tigers in some spots instead of Brookies. Caught a few on the Toby. They are neat fish!

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

The roads were bad yesterday! I got stuck in the pileup on 78 yesterday coming from Cabelas! Terrible!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice report....great pics of the heron Eunan
Old 12-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

So good to hear that you got in some fishing! Hardly anything beats herons or king fishers as natures guide to fish holding waters.

Good posting Eunan,

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-11-2013, 07:55 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Two days? Man, you've got to make a better deal with somebody! That just ain't right. milt
jaybo41 and s fontinalis like this.