The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By calftail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 02:25 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default South Platte River

Chances are that if you fished around Decker's on the South Platte River 'bout 1970-73 you would have had something that looked like this in your vest. When I look back this period marked the start of the modern age of fly fishing. The period was pre-graphite rod but the nymphing method was in full "fish catching" mode as long as you had the flies and rigging to go with it you caught fish with the best of them.

Twistons were the favorite weight for getting the flies down to the fish. A spool of 5x or 6x tippet spooled up on one of those leader gizmos. The cork and pick florescent orange "cheater" was flip-flopping all over the river on a short line. The flies of the day were: The Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear, the Brassie, the Buckskin, the Miracle Nymph, and the Muskrat Nymph, and you would normally see them packed in that red-capped plastic tube from your favorite fly shop.

7-8 ft. six weight rods, a floating fly line, and a hand tied knotted leader did the job.

Sorry but I'm kinda feelin' a little vintage today......

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: South Platte River

That was fun to see and hear. That was my era also, but I wasn't fly fishing so neat to hear the history. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:31 PM

redwing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: South Platte River

The SP is where I cut my teeth in 1982 in the canyon used the same lead and flys. The indicator with tooth pick but a little more rounded. Still get up there about twice a year.

redwing