The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 11:15 PM

biog is on a distinguished road
Default Would you fish this?

I usually fish tailwaters in winter here in Utah. However I have been daydreaming about a secluded mountain fed stream I hit often during warmer months. In particular I have been imagining trout piling up in some of the slow, deep holes that are oddly fishless during warmer times of year.

If you can picture it: this stream is 15'-30' wide, typical riffle/run/pool, freestone type. the holes I have been thinking of are 4'-6' deep bend pools They are fed by a shallow, fast riffle at their heads and they flow into long, slow, 2' deep runs (Really good dry water in summer). The pools are also well covered by foliage overhang (fell trees and dead branches enough to provide shadows etc.). One hole in particular actually has a big tree stump submerged on the far bank at the immediate rear of the hole just after the pool's deepest section. Where I grew up, these holes would be described as excellent salmon holes.

I have fished this stream many times during warmer months and during fall, and caught many fish there. I have, interestingly enough, never caught any fish out of these holes. I can't help thinking that winter might change that?

I really don't want to waste a fishing day but I might be able to take the risk with some testimonial encouragement?

BAsed on the info above, is it worth it? Am I imagining things to think that these types of holes might hold winter trout in numbers, given that they provide depth, protection from predators, and a possible seam of food provided by the riffle line at the heads of the pools?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:31 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Would you fish this?

Welcome to the forum ! As far as that fishing run goes ?

Just do it. If you don't, you'll never know.

And the line about " waste a day of fishing " ?
You're out fishing....that's never a wasted day. Remember that there is a reason it's called fishing, not catching. Go out there, enjoy yourself, learn a few things, and don't wait for someone else's testimonials.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

If you think it should be fished... Clearly fish it... No day fishing is ever... May I repeat EVER... a wasted day.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:52 AM

biog is on a distinguished road

Haha! If you were to ask my wife she would tell you that the fact that I'm talking about fishing this place is all but proof that I'm gonna fish the dang thing.

The real question I was asking though was "Would YOU fish this?". Would you?

As far as a wasted day... Sometimes I think I hate fishing, I get so worked up over it, I HAVE to do it, I practically drive off the road staring at fishy looking water on road trips. Maybe I am not a tranquil purist but I long to catch fish on a rod, fishing for them is only fun for me if the prospect of catching them exists, otherwise I would happily fish with balls of yarn in my backyard.

I can see how it is not a waste, sure I can. But, I have to say I have probably never heard myself refer to a skunked day of fishing as a "Great day of fishing". So next time I will say instead, I want to have a great day of fishing, or I do not want to get skunked.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

On one of my local rivers of about the same size, state biologists have told me that trout will migrate as much as 10 miles to winter-over in this one deep, well oxygenated pool.
They literally "stack up".
I'm not sure how that would relate to where you're looking at, but it's something to think about.
trout trekker likes this.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 AM

diamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of light

Sometimes, the seemingly best hole on a streams appears devoid of fish because it is home to a big old cannibalistic bull trout.

Supposedly, fishing big streamers/mouse patterns at night is the way to go.....
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

I would fish any place at least one time. Part of the fun for me is trying new places and drive to another. Not a day wasted at all. You never know. Sounds like a place I would try for sure.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:40 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Heck yeah, I'd fish it if it looks fishy!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:52 AM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all

I’d wait for fair weather and water temps, then snorkel it. Having done that, you might find that some great looking waters can often be lacking in single or multiple elements necessary to sustain life, or the lives ( plural ) of a given type of organism ( in this case trout ). At times, two seemingly identical runs, even in close proximity to each other, will have drastically different populations of fish, insects, etc.

Also, what Rip Tide posted about fish movement is true of some waters. This is obvious on one of our more popular rivers, where during the spring and summer you can view large numbers of incredibly large trout in an area closed to fishing. As fall turns to winter and water levels recede, these fish all but disappear. One might even surmise that they’ve been poached. Not so, they literally turn tail and run, easily a dozen miles downstream to areas containing better winter holding water and where influxes of other stream flows can be found. As winter loosens its grip and spring returns, those jumbo trout start showing up in the same clear deep viewing area, just as their descendants have for nearly a century.

TT
Old 01-03-2014, 12:31 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

One thing people don't realize about guiding.....
We fish all the water all the time.
That's so we know where they are, and..... where they aren't.
TT is quite right, as Ralph Cutter says, "Swim it".

Jim